Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Anchorage fall and Chugach mountains.

WUE is a reduced tuition program for western-region out-of-state students.

  • How does WUE  and WRGP work?

    Undergraduate Students who qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program pay 150% of the in-state tuition rate. 

    Graduate Students who qualify for the Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) pay the in-state tuition rate on select participating programs.

    To qualify students must:

    1. Be admitted to UAA
    2. Be a resident of a participating State, U.S. territory, or Freely Associated State.
    3. Submit the WUE or WRGP application with supporting documents.

    Important note: If you accept the WUE or the WRGP tuition waiver you cannot count the time you attend as a WUE student toward the time required for establishing Alaska residency. 

  • Which States and U.S. territories participate in these programs?

    Residents of the following states qualify for WUE and WRGP in Alaska:

  • Which UAA Undergraduate level programs participate?

    All of our undergraduate programs participate in the WUE program!

  • Which UAA Graduate level programs participate?
    • Clinical-Community Psychology (Ph.D. program only)
    • Early Childhood Special Education - MED
    • Global Supply Chain Management - MS
    • Nursing Science - MS
    • Project Management - MS
    • Social Work - MSW
  • How do I apply?

    WUE and WRGP applicants must first be admitted to a UAA Program, then submit the application below with supporting documents.

    Undergraduate Students: WUE Application.

    Graduate Students: WRGP application. 

  • What supporting documents do I need to provide?
    Applicants must provide two documents  that prove that they are residing and/or working in a WUE eligible state. Documents must be in the student's name to prove their residency. 

    Examples include:

    • Voter Registration
    • Vehicle Registration
    • Proof of insurance
    • Enlarged copy of your driver's license or State ID
    • State (not federal) income tax return (yours or your parent's if you're a dependent on their return) 
    • Utility Bills
    • Mortgage or Rental Agreement

 Have any questions? All questions and completed WUE or WRGP applications can be submitted by:


UAA Office of Admissions
3211 Providence Drive, UC 106
Anchorage, AK 99508-4614

In Person:
University Center
3901 Old Seward Highway
Anchorage, Alaska 99503

In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software

Back to top