Students wishing to enroll in the Phlebotomy Program must fulfill the following requirements:
- Apply to UAA as a Phlebotomy Occupational Endorsement Certificate (OEC). There are deadlines and fees associated with admissions to an OEC. (See UAA Catalog for details).
- Submit appropriate departmental paperwork to the Medical Laboratory Science Department including Student Information Form, Enrollment Policy, and Essential Requirements Form.
- Students must also submit their immunization records through the UAA Student Health Online Portal. When this is completed, take, mail or fax your personal immunization records to the Student Health and Counseling Center for verification. Bring the verification form to the Medical Laboratory Sciences office to be placed in your student file. Other immunization records will not be accepted.
- Provide High School Diploma or GED equivalency and completion of appropriate placement into PRPE A108 or proof of completion of PRPE A086 with a grade of C or better. Completion of ENGL A111 and/or a previous Associate's or Bachelor's degree meets this requirement. Contact the Medical Laboratory Science Department if you have questions concerning the placement scores.
Enrollment in Phlebotomy courses is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once a student has fulfilled the above requirements, the student can request departmental approval from the Medical Laboratory Science Department.
Prior to enrolling in a practicum (MEDT A195A, MEDT A195B), Phlebotomy students must:
- Demonstrate computer competency in the prerequisite MEDT courses.
- Have completed a background check from the State of Alaska. Contact the Medical Laboratory Science Department for more information.
- Provide proof of personal medical insurance coverage.
- Provide updated vaccination information if required.
- Provide a current certificate in Basic Life Support for Health Care Providers (BLS-HCP) issued by the American Heart Association.