Special Event: FASD Prevention and Treatment for Substance Abuse Professionals
On March 19, 2010, Arctic FASD RTC, in cooperation with the Regional Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor Training Program (RADACT), presented a workshop with Dan Dubovsky, FASD Specialist/Task Leader for Training and Technical Assistance for the SAMHSA FASD Center for Excellence. This workshop was tailored to address the role of addictions professionals in the prevention and treatment of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders.
- Substance abuse and mental health professionals
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain the effects of prenatal exposure to alcohol.
- Explain why Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are considered brain-based physical disabilities.
- Discuss strategies to prevent alcohol exposed pregnancies among at-risk treatment populations.
- Discuss how to adapt FASD prevention strategies for individuals who experience a brain-based physical disability (i.e., FAS or FASD).
- Describe how to adapt substance abuse treatment strategies for more effectively working with individuals who experience an FASD.
- Explain how motivational interviewing philosophy, concepts, and strategies can improve substance abuse treatment for the prevention and treatment of FASDs within a substance abuse treatment setting.
- Apply motivational interviewing techniques while working with adults who experience an FASD and substance abuse.