Graduate Degrees



Some misinformation has recently appeared in various news media about the Masters in Civil Engineering degree being offered at the College of Engineering at UAA.  REST ASSURED THAT THE COLLEGE IS CONTINUING TO OFFER THE MASTERS OF SCIENCE IN CIVIL ENGINEERING DEGREE.  To clarify, for Fall 2016, the College is consolidating its various civil engineering graduate programs to offer one MSCE degree, with options for concentrations in Water Resources, Arctic, Transportation, Structural, Geotechnical and Environmental engineering.


Civil Engineering

The Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE) is designed for students who wish to pursue research-oriented occupations or to eventually pursue a PhD degree, as well as to prepare for advanced professional engineering practice. The Master of Civil Engineering (MCE) was designed for students who wish to further emphasize engineering practice and prefer to substitute additional classroom education for graduate research experience (not accepting applications for MCE at this time).


Arctic Engineering (not accepting applications at this time*)

The Arctic Engineering program is designed to provide graduate education for engineers who must deal with the unique challenge of design, construction and operations in the cold regions of the world. The special problems created by the climactic, geological and logistical conditions of the Arctic and sub-Arctic require knowledge and techniques not usually covered in the normal engineering courses.

Development of petroleum and other natural resources has accentuated the demand for engineers trained in northern operations, both from private industries involved in development and government agencies planning or regulating these activities. Of primary importance is a thorough knowledge of heat transfer processes and properties of frozen ground and frozen water, which are basic to most engineering activities in the Arctic. The areas of hydraulics, hydrology, materials and utility operations are also uniquely affected by Arctic considerations.

* Contact Dr. Hannele Zubeck ( for more information