Zhaohui (Joey) Yang
Dr. Yang joined UAA as Assistant Professor in May 2003. He is currently Professor of Civil Engineering, Associate Director of Alaska University Transportation Center, and Director for Geotechnical and Frozen Ground Engineering Research Laboratory. Dr. Yang's expertise is in geotechnical and earthquake engineering,and he has maintained an active research program with particular interests on cold regions-related. He has published more than 70 peer-reviewed papers, including 30 journal articles. Dr. Yang has received research funding in geotechnical/earthquake engineering and cold regions-related research from NSF EPSCoR, U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Dept. of Interior, U.S. Department of Transportation via Alaska University Transportation Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy through Alaska Energy Authority, State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, and Municipality of Anchorage.
Ph.D., Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the University of California Davis
B.S., Dept. of Hydraulic Engineering, Chengdu University of Science and Technology
July 2013 - Present: Professor, University of Alaska, Anchorage
July 2008 - June 2013: Associate Professor, University of Alaska, Anchorage
May 2003 - June 2008: Assistant Professor, University of Alaska, Anchorage
Sept. 2002 - May 2003: Research Associate, University of California, Davis
June 1999 - Sept. 2002: Research Assistant, University of California, Davis
Aug. 1998 - June 1999: Teaching Assistant, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
June 1995 - July 1998: Lecturer, Sichuan Union University, Chengdu, China
Sept. 1991 - June 1995: Research Associate, Structural Engineering Research Institute, Sichuan Union University, Chengdu, China
Professional and Departmental Service
Dr. Yang's research interests are in geotechnical and earthquake engineering with particular focus on cold-regions related issues. His recent funded research projects are in the following areas:
For current research positions, please contact Dr. Yang at zyang(at)uaa.alaska.edu
Papers in Refereed Journals1. Li, Q., and Yang, Z. Performance and Design of Laterally Loaded Piles in Frozen Ground: a Fixity Depth Approach. For publication in the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Submitted Oct. 2015. Under review.
2. Yang, Z., Li, Q., Jacob Horazdovsky, J.L. Hulsey, and Elmer Marx. Analysis of laterally loaded piles in frozen silts: a p-y approach. For publication in the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Submitted Nov. 2015. Under review.
3. Yang, Z., Still, B., Ge, X. Mechanical Properties of Seasonally Frozen and Permafrost Soils at High Strain Rate.. Cold Regions Science and Technology, 113: 12-19.
4. Gu, Quan, Yang, Zhaohui, and Peng, Yi (2014). Parameters affecting laterally loaded piles in frozen soils by an efficient sensitivity analysis method. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 121: 42-51.
5. Zhou, Jia-wen, Yang, Xing-guo, Yang, Zhaohui (2014). Shear strength parameter determination method for rock-soil mixtures using close-range photogrammetry and 3-D limit equilibrium theory. Journal of Mountain Sciences. 12(5): 1068-1083
6. Yang, R., Yang, Z., Qiao, C., Zhang, X.(2014). Experimental study on frozen soil-liquefiable soil-single pile interaction during earthquakes. Chinese Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. 36(4): 612-617, April.
7. Kong, Q., R. Wang, G. Song and Z. Yang (2014). Monitoring soil freeze thaw process using piezoceramic-based smart aggregate. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 28(2), 06014001(16).
8. Singla, M., C. Chang, G. Song, Z. Yang, and X. Ge (2014). Automatic Controls for the Carbon Fiber Tape-based Deicing Technology. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 28(1), 04013001(17).
9. Zhou, Jia-wen, Yang, Xing-guo, Yang, Zhaohui, Li, Hongtao, Zhou, Hongwei. (2013). Micromechanics damage modeling of brittle rock failure processes under compression. International Journal of Computational Methods. 10(6). DOI: 10.1142/S0219876213500345.
10. Yang, Z., Zhang, X., Ge, X., and Marx, E. (2013). Application of p-y approach in analyzing pile foundations in frozen ground overlying liquefiable soils. Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions. 5(4): 0368-0376.
11. Yang, Z., Li, Q., and Marx, E. (2012). Seasonally Frozen Soil Effects on the Dynamic Behavior of Highway Bridges. Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions,
12. Yang, Ting, Yang, Zhaohui, Singla, Mithun and Song, Gangbing (2012). Experimental
Study on Carbon Fiber Tape-Based Deicing Technology. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 26(2): 55-70.
13. Zhou, X., Yang, Z., C. Chang and G. Song (2012). Numerical Assessment of Electric Pavement Deicing System Utilizing Emerging Carbon Nano-fiber Paper. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 26(1): 1-15.
14. Yang, Zhaohui, U. Dutta, G. Xu, K. Hazirbaba and Marx, E. (2011). Numerical Analysis of permafrost effects on the Seismic Site Response. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 31(3): 282-290.
15. Xu, Gang, Yang, Zhaohui, Dutta, U. and Marx, E. (2011). Seasonally Frozen Soils Effects on the Seismic Site Response. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 25(2):53-70.
16. Zhou, Jia-Wen, Xu, Wei-Ya, Yang, Xing-Guo, Shi, Chong and Yang, Zhaohui (2010). The 28 October 1996 Landslide and Analysis of the Stability of the Current Huashiban Slope at the Liangjiaren Hydropower Station, Southwest China. Engineering Geology. 114(1-2):45-56.
17. Yang, Xingguo, Yang, Zhaohui, Shuyou Cao, Xingji Gao and Shujian Li (2009). Key Techniques for Emergency Disposal of Quake Lakes. Natural Hazards. 52:43-56.
18. Dutta, D., Sen, MK, Biswas N. and Yang, Z. (2009) Investigation of Shallow Sedimentary Structure of the Anchorage Basin, Alaska, Using Simulated Annealing of Site Response. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. V. 99, No. 1, 326-339.
19. Liu, Haowu, Chen, Jiang, Yang, Zhaohui, Sun, Man (2009). Theory and numerical simulation of multi-field dynamic coupling of high arch dam seismic control. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering (In Chinese). 28(5):163-168.
20. Xiong, F. and Yang, Zhaohui. Effects of Seasonally Frozen Soil on the Seismic Behavior of a Bridge Bent-Foundation-Soil System (2008). Cold Regions Science and Technology. V. 54, 44-53.
21. Yang, Zhaohui, Utpal Dutta, F. Xiong, Niren Biswas and Harley Benz (2008). Seasonal Frost Effects on the Seismic Behavior of a Twenty-Story Office Building. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 51(1), 76-84.
22. Yang, Zhaohui, U. Dutta, D. Zhu and N. Biswas (2007). Seasonal Frost Effects on the Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction System. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. 21(4):108-120.
23. Liu, He, Zhaohui Yang and Michael S. Gaulke (2005). Structural Identification and Finite Element Modeling of a 14-Story Office Building using Recorder Data. Engineering Structures, 27(3):463-473.
24. Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi´c (2005). Study of Soil Layering Effects on Lateral Loading Behavior of Piles. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 131(6):762-770.
25. Jeremi´c, Boris, Zhaohui Yang and Stein Sture (2004). Influence of the influence of End Conditions on Constitutive Behavior of Geomaterials. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 130(6), pp 741-745.
26. Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi´c (2003). Numerical Study of Group Effects for Pile Groups in Sands. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 27(15):1255-1276.
27. Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi´c (2002). Numerical Analysis of Pile Behavior under Lateral Loads in Layered Elasto-Plastic Soils. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in , 26(14), pp 1385-1406.
28. Jeremi´c, Boris, Gerik Scheuermann, Jan Frey, Zhaohui Yang, Bernd Hamman, Kenneth I. Joy and Hans Haggen (2002). Tensor Visualizations in Computational Geomechanics. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics incorporating Mechanics of Cohesive-Frictional Materials, 26(10), pp 925-944.
29. Jeremi´c, Boris and Zhaohui Yang (2002). Template Elasto-Plastic Computations in Geomechanics. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, July 2002, 26(14), pp 1407-1427.
30. Yang, Zhaohui and Haowu Liu (1998). Embedded fiber-optic F-P strain sensor and it application to concrete structures. Journal of Experimental Mechanics. In Chinese. 13(1), pp.41-46.
Yang, Zhaohui, Haowu Liu and Jinchi Lu (1997). Neural Network Method for concrete strength prediction and design. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering. In Chinese. Vol.43, No. 1, pp. 33-40.
Recent Refereed Conference Articles
Awards and Recognitions
· Arctic Kicker Prize, for the best arctic-related idea, Arctic Innovation Competition, Fairbanks, Alaska, Oct. 17, 2015
· Second Place, Arctic Innovation Competition, Main Division. 2015 Arctic Innovation Competition, Fairbanks, Alaska, Oct. 17, 2015
· Outstanding Reviewer, in recognition of outstanding service as a reviewer for Cold Regions Science and Engineering journal, 2014
· ASCE Outstanding Reviewer, in recognition of outstanding service as a reviewer for the ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. 2010, 2014
· ASTM Committee D18 Technical Editors Award, in recognition for the time and extensive effort you spent organizing the symposium and editing STP 1568 Mechanical Properties of Frozen Soil. March 2014. ASTM Committee D18 is focused on testing standards of Soil and Rock.
· Theme Session Speaker, Plenary Session Moderator, 10th International Symposium on Permafrost Engineering (10ISPE), Harbin, China, Aug. 21-24, 2014.
· Theme Session Speaker, 10th National Conference on Earthquake Engineering (10NCEE), Anchorage, Alaska Jul. 21-25, 2014.
· Keynote Speaker, 1st Inter. Symposium on Transportation Soil Engineering in Cold Regions - A Joint Conference with the 10th SHAHUNIANTS Lecture (TRANSOILCOLD2013), Xining, China. Oct. 10-11, 2013.
· Keynote Speaker, 2012 International Conference on Civil, Architectural and Hydraulic Engineering, Zhangjiajie, China. Aug. 10-12, 2012.
· Co-Chair, Symposium on Mechanical Properties of Frozen Soils, Jacksonville, FL, Jan. 2013
Philippe Amstislavski, Yang, Zhaohui, and Maria White (2016). Thermal Insulation Material from Mycelium and Forestry Byproducts. Provisional patent US 62/288,156 filed Jan. 28, 2016.
Yang, Zhaohui, Simon Evans, and Gregory McConnell (2014). Methods and Systems to Convert Passive Cooling to Active Cooling. Provisional patent US 62/081,844 filed November 19, 2014; Non-provisional Patent led Nov. 19, 2015.
Yang, Zhaohui, and Benjamin Still (2014). Self-Heated Enclosure with Carbon Fiber. Provisional patent US 62/081,853 filed November 19, 2014; Non-provisional Patent filed Nov. 19, 2015.
Yang, Zhaohui, Ting Yang, Gangbing Song, Mithun Singla and Christina Chang (2012). Designs and Methods for Self-Heating Concrete. Provisional patent (US 61/699,372). Non-provisional Patent filed Sept. 2013.
Books or Book Chapters
Mechanical Properties of Frozen Soils, ASTM Special Technical Publication, v 1568 STP, Hannele Zubeck and Zhaohui Yang, Eds. ISBN: 978-0-8031-7556-3. ASTM International in cooperation with ASCE. Jan. 2013.
Recent visiting scholars
1. Dr. Tiecheng Sun, Shijiazhuang Railroad University, Shijiazhuang, China.
Jan. 2016-Jan. 2017
2. Dr. Haipeng Li, State Key Laboratory for Geomechanics and Deep Under-
ground Engineering, China University of Mining and Technology, Xuzhou,
China. Nov. 2015-Nov. 2016
3. Dr. Zhenhao Zhang, Changsha University of Science and Technology, Chang-
sha, China. Oct. 2015-Oct. 2016
4. Mr. Jiahui Wang, Ph.D. Candidate, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin,
China. Oct. 2015-Oct. 2016.
5. Mr. Jiliang Wang, Heilongjiang Cold Regions Construction Science Research
Institute, Harbin, China. Mar. 2015-Feb. 2016
6. Dr. Feng Zhang, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China. Jan. 2015-
Feb. 2016. Co-advising with Ghulam Bham.
7. Dr. Haolin Yu, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China. Sept. 2014-
Feb. 2016. Co-advising with Hannele Zubeck.
8. Dr. Mingyan Zheng, China University of Geosciences, Wuhan. Aug. 2014-
9. Dr. Zhouxiang Ding, Beijing Jiaotong University, Beijing, China. Aug. 2014
- Aug. 2015
10. Dr. Changlei Dai, Helongjiang University, Harbin, China. Jan.-Aug. 2015
11. Dr. Runlin Yang, University of Science and Technology Beijing, Beijing,
China. Aug. 2011-Oct. 2012
12. Dr. Xiaomin Zhou, University of Science and Technology Beijing, Beijing,
China. Aug. 2010-Feb. 2011
13. Dr. Feng Xiong, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China. Aug. 2006- Jun. 2007;