Diversity Interview Questions
- Explain how diversity has played a role in your career.
- What books/materials/authors have you read on the subject of diversity?
- What is your vision of diversity on a campus such as the University of Alaska Anchorage?
- How have you participated in diversity events and organizations at the other colleges and universities?
- Provide us with an example of how you managed diversity in your classroom experiences?
- What ideas do you have about diversity in the classroom?
- What programs have you developed in the area of diversity?
- Has diversity played a role in shaping your teaching and advising styles?
- Have you been involved in writing or shaping a diversity plan?
- As a faculty member, have you done any research in the field of Diversity?
- As a higher education professional, have you done any work in the area of diversity in the community?
- What do you see as the most challenging aspects of an increasingly diverse academic community? Follow-up question: What initiatives have you taken in your previous capacities to meet such challenges?
- What is your sense of the complexities and leadership challenges related to these issues?
- How would you work with people under your supervision to foster a climate receptive to diversity in the workforce, in the curriculum, in faculty/staff meetings?
- Suppose that in working with a University unit you discover a pervasive belief that diversity and excellence are somehow in conflict. How do you conceptualize the relationship between diversity and excellence? What kinds of leadership efforts are needed to encourage a commitment to excellence through diversity?
- In what ways have you integrated multicultural issues as part of your professional development?
- Tell the committee about a time when you had to adapt to a wide variety of people by accepting/understanding their perspectives?
- What have you done to further your knowledge/understanding about diversity? How have you demonstrated your learning?
- Can you recall a time when you gave feedback to a co-worker who was unaccepting of others?
- Tell the committee about a time that you successfully adapted to a culturally different environment?
- Can you describe to the committee a time that you adopted your style in order to work effectively with individuals different from you?