International Faculty and Visiting Scholars

What Is An International Faculty Person?

The university often invites international faculty to work as "faculty" for long-term employment.

This kind of program generally requires Immigration processing for the H-1B Visa, which our office does in collaboration with the hiring UAA department and the person being hired.

The main focus is employment and to fulfill employment needs at the university.
International faculty are generally recruited for tenure-track positions.
For more information, please contact John C. Bhend, Senior Human Resources Consultant
What Is A Visiting Scholar or Exchange Visitor?

A scholar is someone who comes to the university temporarily to teach, do research, or both. Although the word, "scholar," may seem to imply that the person is studying, in the Immigration world a scholar is not a student. Rather, he is a professional in his home country who wishes to conduct research or teach in his field of interest.

This kind of program requires Immigration processing so that the person may apply for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa. The International Faculty and Staff Services office provides the appropriate paperwork by coordinating with the hosting UAA department and the person being invited.

Generally, UAA departments invite exchange visitors in 3 main categories: Professor, Research Scholar, and Short-term (research) Scholars. Which category is most appropriate depends on the objectives of the Exchange Visitor’s program at UAA and the person's credentials. To be eligible for a scholar category, the candidate must be of the caliber of a researcher or professor at home, and have qualifications that make him an expert in his field.

The U.S. Department of State administers the Exchange Visitor Program. This program makes it possible for international students and scholars to temporarily visit the United States to enhance mutual understanding and goodwill.

The University of Alaska Anchorage is an Immigration sponsor of The Exchange Visitor Program. This means that we are a legal entity that has applied for and received designation from the U.S. Department of State to conduct an exchange visitor program. Immigration advisors in the International Faculty and Staff Services and the International Student Services offices are not employed by the U.S. Departments of State or Homeland Security, but we are required to follow Immigration laws in how we administer the program.

For more information, please contact Cecile Mitchell, Director of Admissions, and International Student Services who is the Responsible Officer for J-1 visas.

If you are interested in hosting or hiring a foreign scholar, we would be glad to assist you with the Immigration process and discuss other considerations. Please contact John C. Bhend at 786-4673 to make an appointment.