Alaska Residency for Tuition Purposes

Students who qualify for resident status should file an application for residency for the term they plan to attend, with required documentation at the appropriate university office prior to the published end of the add/drop period for regular semester-length courses.

The following is a summary of the Board of Regents policy to determine whether you are eligible for resident tuition. Students eligible for Alaska resident tuition must be United States citizens or eligible non-citizens and include those who:

  • Received or have been qualified to receive an Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend within the last 12 months.
  • Have graduated in the last 12 months from a qualified Alaska high school.
  • Have been physically present in Alaska for the past two years.
  • Are active-duty military personnel or members of the National Guard, or their spouses or dependent children.
  • Are a United States veteran eligible for a Veterans Administration education benefit or the spouse or dependent child of said veteran. Qualifying students must move to and remain domiciled in the state of Alaska during their course of study.
  • Are students from foreign cities and provinces that have established sister city or sister province relationships with the state of Alaska or Alaska municipalities, and have been approved by the president.
  • Are participants in the UA Scholars program.
  • Are participants in the University of Alaska College Savings Plan program who meet eligibility criteria as established by the Education Trust of Alaska.
  • Are dependent children of a person who holds an associate, baccalaureate, or graduate degree from the University of Alaska.
  • Are dependent children of an Alaska resident, as evidenced by the most current federal income tax return filed within the past 16 months.
  • Are participating in the Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) or Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP).
  • Are enrolled in four or fewer credit hours within the UA system.
  • Application for Resident Tuition Assessment (This form requires Adobe Reader software.)

Students will be considered "non-resident" if, within two years prior to applying for residency, they:

  • Carried out any act inconsistent with Alaska residency, such as claiming residency in another state or voting as a resident in another state.
  • Were claimed as dependent children of a non-resident of Alaska for federal income tax purposes during the most recent tax year.
  • Paid resident tuition at an educational institution in another state during the past two years.
  • Paid the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program rate to the University of Alaska.
  • Students having non-immigrant visa status are not eligible for Alaska residency.

For more information, please contact Enrollment Management at 907-786-1480.
You may also view the UA Board of Regents Policy, chapter 05.10.025, Resident Tuition Assessment.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)
UAA is one of the 15 participating states in the WUE program. Through WUE, students who are not Alaska residents may enroll in designated UAA programs and pay 150% of resident tuition (plus other fees that are paid by all students). WUE students do not pay the higher non-resident tuition. Students who have paid WUE tuition in the past two years are not eligible for resident tuition.

Download the WUE application here.

Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP)
The Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) makes high-quality, distinctive graduate programs and healthcare-related programs available to students of theWest at the resident tuition rate. Aspart of the Student Exchange Program of the Western Interstate Commission forHigher Education, WRGP helps place students in a wide range of graduateprograms, all designed around the educational, social, and economic needs ofthe West.Through WRGP, students are eligible to enroll in available programs outside of their home state at resident tuition rates. Students need not demonstrate financial need.

Download the WRGP application here.

Come Home to Alaska Program
Great news!  The University of Alaska is offering the resident tuition rate to anyone whose parent, grandparent or even great grandparent is a current Alaska resident.  It's the University's way of saying, "Come Home to Alaska!"

To apply, please submit an Application for Resident Tuition and proof you are a lineal descendant of a current Alaska resident.  The best documentation will be your birth certificate.  Your parent, grandparent or great grandparent will need to show proof they are a current Alaska resident through such things as receipt of the Permanent Fund Dividend within the past 12 months or physical presence in the State for the past two years.

The deadline to apply is the Add/Drop deadline of each semester.  To receive this special tuition rate you must move to and reside in Alaska.  You will receive this tuition rate until completion of your program as long as you remain continuously enrolled (except summers).

After an initial two-year trial period, the program has been extended until the fall of 2019.  All students who enter the program by fall semester 2019 will receive the benefit through completion of their academic program as long as they meet the continuous enrollment requirement and University academic progress requirements. 

For questions, please contact Enrollment Services at 907-786-1480 and tell them you want to COME HOME TO ALASKA!

Download the Application for Resident Tuition form here.

High School Exchange Student Program

Foreign exchange students who complete one full year of high school in Alaska are eligible for resident tuition.  To qualify, you must have:

  1. Attended a high school in Alaska as part of a recognized student exchange program
  2. Attended one full year at said high school (two consecutive semesters)
  3. Attended on a Student (F) or Exchange Visitor (J) Visa and maintained status
  4. Become admitted to a degree program at UAA

Students should first apply for admission to UAA as an international student.  All admission requirements are applicable and students will need to submit transcripts from their Alaska high school and home high school to show a complete record of their high school education.  All foreign transcripts require a World Education Services (WES) and International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) evaluation.  Detailed information about UAA's international admission requirements can be found online at the UAA International Student Services Webpage.  To remain eligible for the resident tuition rate, you must maintain continuous enrollment (not inculding the summer term), stay in good academic standing and remain in good standing for your student Visa.

To request this waiver, download, complete and submit the Alaska High School Exchange Student Resident Tuition Request Form.