Academic Policies At A Glance

This is a distillation of UAA Academic Policies regarding graduate students presented in an easy to read format.  The  Graduate Programs section of the 2015-2016 UAA Catalog is included as an additional reference point.




If you're interested in policies specific to your program, please check out the Graduate School webpage titled Handbooks. There you will find the UAA Graduate School Handbook along with handbooks specific to various programs including Anthropology, Arctic Engineering and Biological Sciences, amongst others. The following link will take you to the page: Handbooks.   

Dates and Deadlines

The Graduate School Calendar has salient dates for graduate students.  If you are sponsoring an event that would be of interest to graduate students, please contact the Graduate School Director, Elisa Mattison.

Thesis or Project defenses are posted on the Graduate School homepage. Please contact Elisa Mattison or email the Graduate School with defense information including:
  • Title of thesis or project
  • Name of student defending with home department
  • Date of defense
  • Time
  • Building & room number



Go to UAOnline, the online registration system for the University of Alaska, to register for classes.You can check your registration status, register for classes, and view your student records through this system. 
If you are unsure how to register for classes, please review the following guide created by the Office of the Registrar: Registration Process.
You can also watch an online tutorial of the process: Registration Tutorial
If your question has not been answered, please contact the Graduate School or your graduate academic advisor. 

Continuous Registration 2016 - 2017

What? Continuous progress is expected every semester as appropriate for the graduate program, from admission through graduation, until all requirements for the degree are met. 

Who? Check with your graduate program for their specific requirements. For example, students enrolled in graduate programs offering courses only in summer should be continuously registered for every Summer semester until degree requirements are completed. Students enrolling for Fall and Spring semesters are expected to enroll every fall and spring until requirements are completed.  *Students completing coursework over the summer must register for extended registration; e.g. students completing thesis, project, capstone, or internships from spring semester must register for extended registration credit for summer. 

How? To make Continuous Progress in their graduate program, students have the following options: 
  • Registering for at least one graduate level credit applicable to their graduate degree, or 
  • Paying the continuous registration fee (by registering for Extended Registration CRN) to remain active in the graduate program although not registered for any courses. 
        *(100-300 level courses do not count towards continuous registration; only courses listed on the GSP count.)

When? Students are also expected to register or pay the continuous registration fee for the summer if they use university facilities or consult with faculty during the semester. Student who have completed their coursework must enroll in extended registration until all their degree requirements are met.

Where? The continuous registration fee may be paid during each semester's late registration period or in the Cashier's Office up until the end of late registration.

 Extended Registration CRN's (2016-2017):FallSpringSummer
 College of Business & Public Policy A69971442  Expired
 College of Arts & Sciences A69971443  Expired
 College of Education A69971444  Expired
 College of Health A699
71445  Expired
       School of Nursing  A69971447  Expired
 College of Engineering  A69971448  Expired
       Project Management  A699 71446 

Community  & Technical College  A699

71449  Expired

How to find the appropriate Extended Registration CRN in the class schedule:

       1. Log on to UA online. 
       2. Go to "Student Services and Account Information."
       3. From there, click "Registration," then "Class Schedule Search." 
       4. On this page, select the following options: 
   a. Search by term: as applicable 
   b. Campus: UAA: all campuses 
   c. Keyword search: type "extended."
Or, check the above table.


Graduate School Forms

If you need to make a change such as change a committee member, request a leave of absence, or petition a UAA catalog policy, please review the Graduate School webpage: Graduate School Forms.