UAA Delegate Michelle Steffens (left) at SCUSA conference.
"SCUSA is an excellent opportunity for socially-conscious individuals to unite in discussion of worldly issues and contemplation of the course of future events."
The University of Alaska Anchorage is one of a select group of universities invited to send student delegates to the prestigious Student Conference on U.S. Affairs (SCUSA) at the Military Academy at West Point.
Visit the official SCUSA website to learn more about the conference.
The Office of Undergraduate Research, a part of the University Honors College, fully funds up to two student delegates, who are chosen through a competitive selection process in the spring semester. Applications are welcome from students, who have demonstrated interest in area studies, global issues, international studies, international relations, and/or foreign policy.
Deadline: The application deadline for Fall 2014 SCUSA Conference will be announced in the spring of 2014.
Selection is based on the following criteria:
- The guiding principles in the selection of the student participants will be academic excellence, demonstrated interest in at least one of the areas listed above, and the extent to which the conference contributes to the achievement of students' academic and professional goals.
- The applicant must have an overall GPA of at least 3.2.
- The applicant must have successfully completed at least one semester at the University of Alaska Anchorage prior to the current spring semester.
- The applicant must be a degree seeking student at UAA and at least a half-time student (registered for 6 credits) in the current spring semester with plans to register for at least 6 credits for the following fall semester.
- It is desirable that the applicant have taken at least one course at UAA that addresses international issues or is international in focus.
- Students must submit the Application Form with the following (7-11):
- The application must be accompanied by a 1-2 page (500 word) statement addressing why the applicant should be selected and the extent to which the conference contributes to the achievement of the applicant's academic and professional goals. Additionally, the applicant should choose two round table topics and discuss their reasons for choosing these particular topics, the background and experience they will bring to these topics, and what they hope to gain from participation in these particular round tables. See the application for a list of round table topics.
- The application must be accompanied by one (1) letter of recommendation from a UAA faculty member.
- The application must be accompanied by a current academic resume.
- The application must be accompanied by a copy of the applicant's UAA transcript.
- The applicant must agree to complete a post-Conference survey and to make a post-participation presentation at the Undergraduate Research & Discovery Symposium held on the UAA campus in April.
- The student delegates will be expected to prepare over the summer and to attend an orientation session early in the fall semester..
- Only complete applications will be considered for review.
Instructions for completing the cover sheet:
- Download the interactive .pdf file.
- Either (a) complete electronically and print or (b) print and complete by hand.
- Collect necessary signatures.
- Either (a) submit completed, signed cover sheet and all other application materials to the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship in RH 115 or (b) scan the completed, signed cover sheet along with all other application materials by email to email@example.com.
SCUSA Application Form
These forms may also be picked up from the Office of Undergraduate Research & Scholarship in RH 115.