Suggested Items

  • Towels/wash cloths
  • Personal toiletries (including toilet paper!)
  • Bedding - sheets (twin long), blankets, pillow
  • Laundry bag or basket plus detergent
  • Hangers
  • Iron & ironing board
  • Alarm clock
  • Cleaning supplies for your bathroom and room
  • Photos, personal items, or wall decor to make you feel at home
  • Winter clothes, hat, gloves, & boots
  • An umbrella or raincoat (water-resistant footwear is also a good idea
  • Backpack
  • School or office supplies (also available at the Campus Bookstore)
  • Other personal items such as a computer, bike, stereo, and camera


MAC and Templewood Residents will also need:
  • Pots & pans
  • Cooking utensils
  • Dishes and silverware

You may want to communicate, in advance, with your roommates regarding sharing a microwave, coffee pot, TV, and mini-fridge.


Room Decor Ideas

Extra-long sheets or other "college-specific" items may be purchased online at

These sites are provided for your convenience, and are not affiliated with with University of Alaska Anchorage. However, if you are looking for school supplies of other great decor, stop by the Campus Bookstore.


Important Considerations

  • Limited storage space prohibits the removal of existing furniture and minimizes space available for personal furniture.
  • The residential community provides a gun safe for weapons storage. Personal possession of firearms is prohibited.
  • Pets are not allowed in the residential community.

Prior to packing, please review Section 6 - Facilities Usage and Maintenance of your Housing & Dining Agreement, which provides detailed information regarding items that are prohibited in the Residence Halls and Apartments.



UAA Residential Campus has Wi-fi access in all building. To utilize the internet capabilities in your room, you'll need a Wi-fi compatible device.  


Personal Property Insurance

Students are encouraged to obtain insurance coverage for personal property (similar to renter's insurance). The University is not responsible and does not provide insurance for the loss or theft of, or damage to personal property. This includes damage caused by failure or interruption of utilities.

National Student Services, Inc. is one company that provides students the opportunity to apply for coverage or renew or modify existing coverage. Many other insurance providers (for example, Progressive) may also cover your personal property under a renter's insurance policy.


If you will be living in a Residence Hall, check-in at your assigned hall. MAC residents check-in at Gorsuch Commons, and Templewood residents check-in at East Hall.  Please see the Check-In page for more details.

Important Note: You will need to present a driver's license, passport, or other photo identification when you check-in.


Need a laptop, software, or electronic accessories?
Stop by the Tech Zone—located on the upper-level of the UAA Campus Bookstore.