Students must work in conjunction with their institutions exchange program office to apply to UAA. 

Only students from partner exchange universities should apply using the proceeding method.

For students working with an outside study abroad agency, the student should have their agency contact UAA at before an exchange application is submitted.


  • Exchange Adviser from Exchange Institution identifies students to UAA.
  • Each individual student applies as a nondegree seeking student via UAOnline.
  • Each student supplies a DS-2019 Request Form, an Affidavit of Financial Support and Financial Support Documentation to UAA.
  • Upon receipt of all required documents, a DS-2019 will be provided for each student to begin their visa application procedures.

Applying for the J-1 visa

When applying, each applicant must submit he US embassy the following:

Current visa wait times may be found at the Department of State Website.

Exchange visitors may not enter the US more than 30 days prior to the program state date.