Tax Compliance for International Students and Scholars

GLACIER is a tax compliance software system designed to help UAA and its students to determine the tax implications of payments made to international student workers and those on scholarship. 

Many international students and scholars are nervous when completing their tax forms, but the software is actually very straightforward and simple, when you understand what is being asked.We hope that this page will serve as a resource when you create and update your GLACIER information!

Creating your record should take 15 to 20 minutes, depending on your individual circumstances.

The GLACIER system will prompt you to enter biographic, address, and contact information, along with details on your U.S. immigration status and travel history.

Below are the steps to help you setup your GLACIER account. Each section is based on the screen title in the software, so you can follow along where you need assistance or more information.

Additional help is available through the GLACIER system or by contacting the GLACIER Support Center at:


User Agreement

You are asked to accept the terms of use for the software, by choosing the appropriate button.You also have the option to allow the University to provide Form 1042-S through the GLACIER system.Please check this box!You may or may not receive this form depending on your earnings, but forms that are not distributed electronically must be mailed to your international address instead, which can slow your tax return process.

Welcome to GLACIER for University of Alaska:

Please select the action you would like to take on your record.These options will likely change throughout the calendar year, depending on what documents or systems are available for your use.For a new record or to make changes, you will have to select the option to "Create/update/view my Individual Record".


Income Type:

This page asks you to indicate all types of payments, if any, you will receive from the University of Alaska.

The available list of options will depend on the relationship categories selected on the previous screen.If you will receive a payment from the University, it will likely be "Compensation/Wages" (service-based) or "Scholarship or Fellowship" (non-service).

If you do not receive any payments or income from the University, please select "No Income".

Please note: Students who receive a tuition scholarship or waiver that appears as a reduction from their bill should NOT select "Scholarship or Fellowship" for that award.This category is only meant to be used for actual money paid from the University to the individual, which are not considered as a payment for services provided.

For assistance in determining the correct income type(s) for each payment, please use the workbox on the GLACIER Information handout and contact your hosting department.


US Address

Please list your contact information and current mailing address in the U.S., or indicate that you cannot receive mail in the country right now.You must update this information if you move during your program or activity in the U.S.


Permanent Foreign Address:

List your current foreign mailing address.As a non-immigrant, you are required to have an address outside the U.S. considered to be your home, but you may list the address of a parent or family member overseas if necessary.


Country of Citizenship / Tax Residence:

You are asked to indicate your citizenship and tax residency.If you have dual citizenship, please list the country that issued your passport used for travel and entry to the U.S. For most individuals, your countries of citizenship and tax residency will be the same. However, if you have been living in a different country before coming to Alaska and filed tax documents there, you may have established tax residency in that country.


Days Present in the U.S.:

You are asked to enter the number of days you have been physically present in the U.S., which is used in calculating your tax residency category.

For each year of your current immigration status, you should list how many days you were NOT in the U.S. during that calendar year.

  • This is an ESTIMATE and should not cause you extreme concern about finding the precise information! Additionally, you can always go back to update this information later if you feel you made an error.
  • Tip: You may be able to use your passport to calculate the length of any trips you took during that time.

If you have traveled to the U.S. previously, you should indicate the year, immigration status, and days IN the country for all of your prior trips. Again, this information should be a complete representation, but can be estimated to the best of your ability.You will be asked to review the summary of travel information before proceeding.


This page asks you to indicate all service and non-service relationships you maintain with the University of Alaska.

  • The first group includes service-based relationships, such as employees, academic assistantships, and student workers.
  • The second group includes non-service relationships, for students and some post-doctoral appointments.
  • The remaining options are for other individuals who may maintain a temporary relationship with the University
It is possible for you to belong to more than one of these categories, and it is possible for these relationships to change over time!

For assistance in determining your appropriate relationship(s), please use the workbox on the GLACIER Information handout and contact your hosting department.


Personal Information:

Please enter your name, consistent with your immigration documents, and the email address where notices from GLACIER will be received and read.

You should also include your U.S. Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If you do not have one of these identification numbers, you will need to indicate your application plans:

Students or scholars who anticipate payments from the University, even at some future date, may select the option for "I have applied for an SSN, and I have not yet received the number". Once you receive your SSN, you must update your GLACIER record and submit your tax summary and forms to the University Payroll office! If known, UA employees should also enter their university ID, which is listed on the Banner Finance system.

Note: Tax treaty benefits are not available until the SSN is issued and reported in GLACIER, but you may claim a refund on your annual tax return if excess tax is withheld while the SSN application is pending.If needed, please contact an advisor in the ISO to discuss the SSN application process and documentation.

Scholars or others in a no-pay relationship with the University (i.e. there is no possibility that you will receive Upayments) should select the option for "I do NOT have a U.S.-issued SSN or ITIN; I would like to apply for an ITIN". This option is correct, even if you do not intend to apply for one.

ITIN information sessions will be offered in October for student beginning in Fall and in February for those beginning in Spring.


Immigration Status:

Select the appropriate immigration sponsor for your current status, which is usually the University of Alaska. If you are sponsored by Fulbright or another institution, or did not receive sponsorship for your current travel, please select the appropriate option. From the dropdown list provided, choose your current immigration category.For J-1 Exchange Visitors, please refer to your DS-2019 to determine the correct option based on the purpose of your program/activity.


Tax Treaty Exemption Verification:

After calculating your applicable tax withholding rates and tax treaty exemptions, GLACIER will notify you of your eligibility.

  • If you are not eligible, you may continue with your record.
  • If you are eligible for a tax treaty, you may have to contact the University Payroll office and/or supply additional documentation to claim the treaty benefits.
Please read the information provided by GLACIER carefully, as these details are based on your individual circumstances.

Tax Summary Report:

GLACIER will provide a summary of your tax information, including your federal Tax Residency status (line 2). The required forms listed will also be available as PDF documents to print and sign when you are done with your record.

View and Print Forms:

When you click on the button to print your forms, you will open a PDF file with your Tax Summary and all required forms, with your information automatically filled by the software.

  • You will need to PRINT and SIGN each form.
  • Please do NOT print double-sided, as these forms may need to be processed separately.
  • The Tax Summary will also tell you what photocopies are required of your immigration documents.

These papers, including the summary, forms and copies, must be sent to the campus appropriate International office or mailed to Statewide Human Resources (SWHR) as soon as possible.

  • The SWHR mailing address is printed on the Tax Summary. Please update your GLACIER record as needed if your information changes at any point.
  • If the new information triggers a change to your Tax Summary or tax forms, you must send the new paperwork to UA Payroll.