The Department of Languages encourages all students majoring in Languages to participate in a Study Abroad program in their target language or languages. Studying abroad provides cultural and linguistic experience that cannot be found in the classroom and is often a life-changing process. There are many options for UAA students who wish to study or work abroad. 

Students wishing to earn credit for their time spend studying abroad must discuss their plans with their advisors. Credits from exchange programs must be petitioned to be accepted by UAA, and it is essential that careful consideration of the course of study and program qualifications be made prior to the student's departure. 

UAA offers exchange programs in countries all around the world. For more information, please visit this page: Interested students should speak with their academic advisors and attend a Study Abroad 101 session (presented by the Office of International Affairs - see the schedule here:

The Japanese Program has established a direct exchange program with the Hokkaido University of Education (HUE) in Hokkaido, Japan. Students who have successfully completed three years of Japanese are encouraged to apply. For more information, contact Hiroko Harada, Coordinator of Japanese.

There are scholarships available to students needing assistance to finance their time abroad. Some are targeted to specific languages; others provide general assistance. A partial list of scholarships is available here:

Students of Russian may be interested in applying for the Kibrik & Bergelson Study or Research in Russia scholarship. Applications for this scholarship are accepted in the fall and spring semesters, with deadlines of 5:00 p.m. on September and March 15 respectively. 

*Please note that the contact information in the PDF linked above is correct, but that the information on the flyer linked in the PDF is out of date.

When you have decided on a study-abroad or work-abroad program, the International Student Services office will assist you with your program application, visa application, and financial aid. They will also help secure your UAA student and Alaska residency status (if applicable) for your time abroad. For more information, contact Carter Caywood, the interim International Student Advisor ( or 907-786-1573).