Frequently Asked Questions:

I’m trying to sign up for a Math course, but it’s saying Prerequisite/Test score error. What do I do?
  • Different courses require different score levels from each of the placement tests. Please see the link below for the current score levels required for each course:
  • Your test scores must be current, meaning within the last year, in order to qualify for a prerequisite override. 
    • If your scores are more than a year old, then you must take a new placement test. The Accuplacer is the most common test taken in this instance.
      • If you take the Accuplacer, and do not receive your desired score, you may try again after a minimum waiting period of 48 hours.
      • Students must pay for the Accuplacer each time it is taken. For cost information, please click here
    • Your most recent scores are used for course placement.
  • If your scores are current, and they meet the requirements for the course in which you are trying to enroll, but you are still receiving a test score error, then you may either contact an academic advisor, or the Math Department front desk about getting a prerequisite override.
    • Have your student ID number ready.
    • If you meet the prerequisite requirements due to courses taken through another institution, you will also need to provide copies of those transcripts, as well as course descriptions from the transferring institution.

How do I petition a Math or Stats course?

  • Download and complete the Academic Petition form.
  • Attach the class syllabus, a copy of your unofficial transcript, and if possible, the catalog description of the course. 
  • Return all of the above to the Math Department (SSB 154). 

My professor told me I could take a test outside of class hours. How does that work?

  • If your professor has told you that you can make up a test, then you need to visit the Math department.
    • At the front desk, let the receptionist know that you are there to take a test/quiz.
    • You will need to state your name and the name of your professor.
    • Picture ID is required in order to take a test.
    • You will be asked to sign in to the Test Log book.
    • Once you’ve shown ID and signed in, you will be given your test, along with any instructions or restrictions (time limits, materials allowed, etc.), and be shown to the testing office where you may take your test.
  • There needs to be someone in the office during your test time. If you know how long you will have to take your test, it is helpful to take this into account.
    • The front desk receptionist is required to take a lunch hour. This may occur anytime between 12:00 PM and 1:30 PM. 
      • Therefore, if you plan to take your test in the morning, you should arrive early enough to have time to finish the test before noon. 
      • If you plan to take your test in the afternoon, it is usually best to arrive after 1:30 PM, but with enough time to complete your test before 5:00 PM which is when the receptionist leaves for the day.
  • Once you have completed your exam and returned it to the receptionist, you are free to leave.

I need a calculator for this Math test, but I don’t have one. Is it possible to rent/borrow a calculator somewhere on campus?

  • Unfortunately, the Mathematics and Statistics department will no longer be renting out calculators to students.

I’ve misplaced my textbook. Is there a way for me to borrow a textbook from the Math Department?

  • The Math Department does not keep extra copies of textbooks to lend out to students.
  • The Math Lab does have some textbook copies that may be used IN the lab, but may NOT be taken from the room.
  • Other resources to check include: 
    • Asking your professor if you may scan some pages out of their textbook
    • Checking to see if there is a copy of the required text available at the library
    • Looking into purchasing an E-Book

Where is the Computer Science Department?

  • Computer Science is no longer affiliated with the Department of Mathematics & Statistics. They are now affiliated with Engineering.
    • Computer Science Department: Natural Science Building (NSB) 223
    • Phone: 786-5475

I’m trying to get a class waived and/or sub a course from another university for another UAA math course. How do I go about this?

  • We suggest you meet with an academic adviser and ask about academic petitions.
    • If your adviser thinks you should submit a petition to the Math Department, please note that you will also need to submit a copy of your unofficial transcripts, and an official description of any course you are trying to use as a substitute.

Where do I send my transcript to verify that I have taken a variation of math classes to obtain UAA credit?

  • All transcripts and test scores must be sent to the university in a sealed envelope, preferably directly from the educational institution or testing agency.
  • If you choose to deliver the transcripts or test scores directly to the university, do not open the official envelope or the transcripts or test scores will be considered unofficial.
  • Transcripts and test scores may be mailed to:
UAA Enrollment Services
PO Box 141629
Anchorage, AK 99514

Still Have Questions?

Contact the Department of Mathematics & Statistics front desk at (907) 786-1744 or email