The Brian and Amy Meissner Creativity Award in the Visual Arts is a
$1000 prize which will be awarded to one art student each year for an outstanding
project in the visual arts.
2013 Meissner Award Winner Rachel Lee.
Deadline: The spring 2014 deadline is 5:00PM Wednesday, March 19.
Note: Incomplete or unsigned applications will not be accepted.
Eligibility: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Students must be accepted in an associate or baccalaureate degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage (any campus).
2.Student must be enrolled for the current spring semester.
3. Students in all disciplines are eligible to apply.
4. Projects in any field of the visual arts will be considered. This
includes, but is not limited to, drawing, printmaking, sculpture,
photography, video, graphic design, and mixed media. Students
are encouraged to submit artwork that might not be displayed in a
traditional/gallery setting, e.g. an outdoor installation piece.
5. Projects must be complete and ready for viewing by the proposal submission deadline.
Application: Applicants must submit all of the following:
- Complete application cover sheet signed by student and faculty sponsor.
- Professional photographs of the work submitted in a digital format
(videos do not require a photograph but should be in digital format).
- Digital submission of a body of 3-5 additional
pieces of work to inform the reviewers about the craft and vision of the
artist. This material is supporting work only. The primary submission
is the only piece that will be recognized as the winner.
- An artist's statement of approximately 1000
words that articulates in detail the artistic purpose, creative process,
meanings, and intended impact of the work along with the artistic
techniques employed by the artist.
Submission: All applications must be submitted to
the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship located in Rasmuson
Hall 115 by the posted deadline. Electronic submissions are welcome and
may be sent to OURS. All applications must be signed.
Criteria for AwardsProjects in all fields of the
visual arts will be considered. The award will be based on (a) overall
technical quality, (b) originality, (c) artistic impact and (d) the
artist's articulated goals and objectives of the artwork within the
context of their genre.
Responsibilities: The recipient will present their project at the Undergraduate Research and Scholarship Symposium in April.
Instructions for Completing the Cover Sheet:
- Download the interactive .pdf file.
- Complete the cover sheet electronically or by hand.
- Print cover sheet and collected needed signatures.
- Either (a) submit the completed application (with cover sheet) to
the Office of Undergraduate Research and Scholarship, RH 115, or (b)
scan signed cover sheet and email all materials to email@example.com.
Brian and Amy Meissner Creativity Award Cover Sheet