The purpose of the INNOVATE Awards is to inspire faculty research, entrepreneurship and creative activity that will lead to publication in a peer review journal or a creative event, external research funding or Intellectual Property. The INNOVATE Awards were created in 2011 by Dr. Helena Wisniewski, Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies, to stimulate new research and IP. All winners names are on a list of current and previous award winners.
2016 INNOVATE Awards
For all the details on the 5th Annual Innovate Awards, please review the PowerPoint presentation which includes abstracts of all the award-winning proposals.
- Dr. Eric Bortz, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
"Bioengineering: an Interferon Bioassay For Cancer Therapy"
- Dr. Brandon Briggs, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
"Enhancing Biological Production of Ethylene and Isobutene"
- Dr. Erin K. S. Hicks, Assistant Professor of Astronomy
"The KONA Survey: Forming Galaxies through Supermassive Black Holes Feeding and Feedback"
- Dr. Jonathan Stecyk, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
"Cardio-physciology of a Unique and Enigmatic Alaskan Species, the Alaska Blackfish"
- Daniel J. Anteau, Chair and Professor of Theatre &Dance, Dr. Rebecca Volino Robinson,
Assistant Professor of Psychology, Dr. Claudia Lampman, Director and Professor of
Psychology, Dr. Brian Cook, Assistant Professor of Theatre, Dr. Jill Flanders Crosby,
Professor and Coordinator of the Dance Program, and Dr. Herminia Din, Professor of
"Stalking the Boogeyman Project"
- Dr. Jennifer Stone, Associate Professor of English, Dr. Kenrick Mock, Associate Dean
of the College of Engineering and Professor of Computer Science, Dr. Patricia Grega,
Professor of Developmental Education, Dr. Shannon Emmerichs, Assistant Professor of
English, Dr. Daniel Kline, Director and Professor of English, Dr. David Dannenberg,
Director of Academic Innovations and eLearning and Assistant Professor of Instructional
Technology, Claudia Pearson, Program Assistant, and John Thomas Cripps Jr., Marketing
and Creative Design Coordinator
"Spirit Quest: Gamifying Student Success"
- Dr. Z. Joey Yang, Professor of Civil Engineering
"Prototype Development for the Conversion of Conventional Passive Cooling System of Solar-Powered Active Cooling System"
2016 Patent Wall of Fame Inductee
"Bending Instruments and Methods of Using the Same"
Dr. Anthony Paris, Associate Professor of Engineering, U.S. Patent 9,003,859 B2
2014 INNOVATE Awards
- Increased funding for the INNOVATE awards
- Proposals of diverse backgrounds were awarded funds
- Two patents awarded
2013 INNOVATE Awards
- Received an additional $200,000 in internal funding for the INNOVATE Awards.
- Increase in the diversity of areas and disciplines, including the sciences, engineering, economics, theatre and dance, English and construction management.
- More awards are interdisciplinary.
- Received proposals from all UAA colleges and schools.
2012 INNOVATE Awards
- Established by the Vice Provost for Research in December 2011 and she acquired $200,000 in internal funding.
- Received 40 proposals.
- Funded 13 proposals in areas including engineering, sciences and arts/humanities.
Accomplishments of 2012
- 11 proposals submitted for external funding, some still under review, with awards totaling over $350,000 in external funding to date.
- Six submissions to peer review journals in process.
- Four invention disclosures and three evolved into patents pending.
- Nine presentations at international conferences.Accomplishments of 2012.