Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to communications, policy guidance and resources.
Impacts of INNOVATE
- A new generation of wireless sensor devices.
- No battery, long lifespan wireless sensor distributed network system for remote monitoring and asset management, as well as for surveillance and security.
- UAA's first startup company, Zensor.
- Seasonality and economic behavior.
- Relevant for financial market outcomes, and for a broader set of social and economic behaviors.
- Breaking new ground to determine the role of eye dynamics in the ethical decision making process. Potential for new tools for teaching ethics and understanding decision making.
- Design and evaluation of thin-shell latex-modified concrete barrel roof units for low cost housing in Alaska.
- Potential pharmaceutical therapeutics for:
- Alzheimer's, ischemic trauma and dysfunctional insulin sensitivity.
- Liver dysfunction
- Oral cancer related to chewing tobacco.
- Diseases associated with neuro-myopathy, such as MS.
- Traumatic head injuries, a foremost concern in athletes and the military. Developed an instrumented mouthguard
with custom wireless capabilities that measures impact and effects.
- Novel treatments for pathologies related to an oxygen-starved human heart.
- Rapid analysis of vitamin D in the field, which is relevant to the health of Alaskans in rural areas and to people around
- Computational modeling of organic polymers for the modeling of protein flexibility to capture detailed quantitative characterizations.
- Broadening the understanding of social and cultural worlds, over time, particularly between the Cubans and Ghanaian via art and dance.
- Identify the occurrence of two food and water contaminants of emerging concern to
Alaskans (copper in drinking water and phthalates (plastic residue) in fish).
- Contribute significantly to the field of literacy studies and to the study of the history of the English language.
- Histories of the English language tend not to take into account the experiences of individuals and families.
- New technology for de-icing sidewalks for safety and wind turbine blades to improve the power production, reduce mechanical water, and extend the life span of the system.