Research Involving External Organizations and Communities

PLEASE NOTE: If you receive Alaska Area IRB approval prior to UAA IRB approval, you may NOT begin to distribute any recruitment materials, recruit any participants, or collect any data UNTIL you receive UAA IRB approval. If you conduct research prior to receiving UAA IRB approval, your project and/or funding may be suspended. 

If you are planning to conduct research with an organization, agency, or community external from UAA, you may be required to submit a separate IRB application. These organizations or agencies include the Alaska Area IRB, Providence Alaska Medical Center, or the Anchorage School District. UAA IRB approval does not guarantee approval from another IRB, Tribal Council, communities, or any other type of ethics review committee. 

Alaska Area IRB

If you are planning on conducting research that involves any materials, records or employees from the Alaska Native Medical Center AND/OR if you plan on conducting research in an Alaska Native community, you will need to do the following:

  1. Contact the Alaska Area IRB, at or 907-729-3917. 
  2. You will need to submit a proposal to the Alaska Area IRB on IRBNet, which is the same online protocol management system used by the UAA IRB. Alaska Area IRB review is completely separate from UAA IRB review. The AAIRB cannot waive the review process to the UAA IRB for review, even if a study is exempt.
  3. Depending on the proposed research, you may be required to submit to the Alaska Area IRB, Tribal Councils, and specific communities. It is crucial to contact the AAIRB to discuss your proposed research. For reference, a list of all Alaska Native communities and their respective Corporations has been compiled by the State of Alaska Department of Natural Resources.
  4. For federal information on why human participant research conducted in Indian Heath Service (IHS) facilities (e.g., Alaska Native Medical Center) or with IHS staff must be reviewed by an IHS IRB (e.g., Alaska Area IRB), see the IHS page on Human Subjects Research Protections.

Providence Alaska Medical Center

If you are planning on conducting research at Providence as part of your UAA research (e.g., Nursing or MPH thesis work), you will need to do the following:

  1. If a project affects a particular clinical area, receive preliminary approval from the Clinical Manager of that area to develop the project.
  2. Contact Stacey Medeiros, Research Support Services Manager at Providence, at or (907) 212-3629. You will need to submit your UAA IRB proposal to Stacey for approval from the Providence Research Council. This is NOT IRB approval. This can take up to two weeks for review and approval. 
  3. Submit an application to the UAA IRB for review via IRBNet.
  4. If you receive UAA IRB approval, the UAA IRB approval memo is forwarded to Stacey for a waiver of authorization from the Western Institutional Review Board. This can take 3-5 days for the waiver and final approval from Providence.
  5. You will be expected to present your research to the Providence Research Council upon completion.

You may not conduct research at Providence until you secure final approval from the UAA IRB, Providence Research Council, and a waiver from the Western IRB. Letters of support from Providence departments do not substitute UAA/Providence/Western IRB waiver approval.

The Providence Research Policy is included on our website for additional information

Anchorage School District

If you are planning on conducting research at any school or with any employee resources which fall under the Anchorage School District, you will need to do the following: 

  1. Submit an application to the UAA IRB for review via IRBNet.
  2. If you are proposing to collect data, statistics, or reports from ASD, you will need to fill out the Data Request Form.
  3. If you are proposing to conduct surveys, interviews, or any other type of interaction with teachers and/or students, you will need to fill out the Research Request Form.
  4. If you have any questions, contact Dr. Xiaogeng Sun at the ASD Assessment & Evaluation Office, at or (907) 742-4420.

These forms can be completed by the UAA-affiliated student, faculty, or staff member as long as the ASD-affiliated employee or employees are mentioned in the form. It is ASD policy that surveys used for evaluation of events (classes or conferences) do not require pre-approval.