IRBNet is a suite of online tools including electronic protocol management and online submissions
for the human subjects research community. The electronic system reduces paper-based
procedures and streamlines protocol submission and review processes for researchers
and the IRB.
The IRB requires all submissions to the IRB be submitted through IRBNet, including exempt proposals, expedited proposals, amendments, progress reports, and final reports. Proof of current Human Subjects Research (HSR) training, such as CITI certificates, are also uploaded to IRBNet.
Access to IRBNet
You can access UAA's electronic system by going to IRBNet.
- Click the "New User Registration" link in the upper right hand corner of the page and follow the instructions.
- Select University of Alaska Anchorage as your affiliation.
- Follow the instructions in IRBNet and enter your preferred e-mail.
- Follow the link in the registration e-mail from IRBNet and following any remaining prompts to complete the registration process.
- If applicable, notify your research team that you are registered. This includes co-Principal Investigators and Research Supervisors for student research, for example. The Principle Investigator, or someone designated by the Investigator, will need to "Share" the IRBNet package with you before you have access to that package, or vice versa.
- Access the Forms and Templates library on IRBNet to download the latest IRB documents. Consent form templates are included, along with the IRB Proposal Form, Exempt Application Form, HSR Determination Forms, and the latest SOPs. The SOPs include submission instructions, and in some cases those instructions are listed within the form.
- For guidance on what documents to submit for a new study, modification request, progress report, or final report, please see the SOPs in the Forms and Templates library mentioned above, or email the IRB Coordinator.
Important Note: The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and the IRB use the same submission system. In other words, you have the option to submit your project to the IACUC or IRB when logged into IRBNet. Please double check to make sure submissions are sent to the correct committee for review!
Where to Begin
Please review IRBNet's training tools to become acquainted with the system.
- IRBNet Training Energizer: Login and Registration Tips
- IRBNet Training Energizer: Initial Package Submission (e.g., new proposals, modification requests, progress reports)
- IRBNet Training Energizer: Subsequent Package Submission (e.g., revising and uploading project documents for resubmission, submitting a subsequent package to the IRB, managing your reviews)
IRBNet maintains a training resources page with videos and PDFs that will walk you through the registration process, creating
and submitting a new project, and post-submission tools. Click on the Resources tab
or linked text, and log-in using the username "anchorage" and password "training"
(do not include the quotation marks).
We understand that using IRBNet is a learning process for many researchers. Please contact the IRB Coordinator at email@example.com or 907-786-0916 for assistance.
When available, we encourage human subjects researchers and research supervisors to attend CAFE workshops on IRB material, including IRBNet. There are no workshops available at this time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions about IRBNet, including questions regarding the security of data and the level of support and training IRBNet provides, are accessed from their website via the provided link.