Living On Campus: What To Expect

University Housing and Dining Agreement

The University Housing and Dining Agreements are legal and binding, and we urge you to thoroughly read them. Residents are responsible for all conditions stipulated in the Agreements, this handbook, all University policies, as well as local, state, and federal laws. The occupancy period covered by the Housing Agreement is the entire academic year, a semester, or a summer session. Timely move-out at the end of an agreement period is critical. Students must maintain a minimum of nine (9) credits per semester to live on campus during the academic year, and a minimum of three (3) credits per session during the summer. Residents must also maintain academic progress throughout their residency.


Release from Agreement

The student may be released from his/her agreement per the mid-term release schedules. Release fees and/or cancellation fees will be applied to the student’s account. Petitions for an exception to the release/cancellation fees must be submitted in writing. The UHDCS/Residence Life Agreement Release Committee considers petitions only when a student has been medically disabled, has experienced a death in the family, undergoes a change in their marital status or their parental status, or has been subject to change in employment location beyond the student’s control. Written documentation of these circumstances is required. Exceptions are not considered for student’s failure to comply with published deadlines or changes in the student’s or their family’s financial status. Termination of the University Housing and Dining Agreements for cause (such as disciplinary sanctioning) will result in the student being charged according to the mid-term release schedules. Release fees and/or cancellation fees will be appropriately applied to the student’s account.


Room Condition Report (RCR)

For your protection, a Room Condition Report (RCR) is completed at check-in. This form outlines all aspects of your room, including its present condition. Students are responsible for returning the RCR to Housing before receiving a key or PIN code. At check-out, RCRs are used to determine changes in your room’s condition (beyond normal wear and age). Anything missing or damaged will result in damage charges assessed to the student as deemed necessary.


Fire Drills, Mid-Semester Safety & Facilities Checks

Mid-semester safety and facility visits are conducted each semester by your Resident Advisor. The purpose of the visit is to check the health and safety conditions of all housing spaces. You will be notified in writing at least one week prior to your Resident Advisor beginning their visits. Common areas and bedrooms are checked for cleanliness. During fire drills, fire extinguishers and smoke detectors are also checked to verify that they are operational. If you have questions about these visits, please call the UHDCS office at 751-7202.


Room Modification and Storage

Residents are not permitted to apply permanent or nonpermanent color anywhere inside the residence hall rooms and apartments. Wall hangings are allowed, but please use push pins or thumb tacks to hang them, not tape or nails as they may damage the walls. Charges for painting and patching may apply for excessive wall damage. Please do not draw on walls with markers or chalk.  For more information, visit On-Campus Living’s website at or Residence Life’s site at


Intention and Room Selection

Residents are required to provide the University Housing office with their on campus living intent for the following academic semester. Specific information regarding this process will be distributed via student mailboxes and common area postings. During the intention process, current residents can announce their intent not to return to housing, or will be instructed on how to reserve a room should they wish to continue living on campus. Spring residents will participate in this process for the following fall semester regardless of their plans for the summer semester. Failure to participate in the intention process may result in a charge placed on your student account. 


Check-Out Upon Semester Completion

When you are ready to check out of your room, follow these steps:

1.Make sure our bedroom is clean and all of your personal belongings are removed.

2.Clean your share of all common areas.

3.Hand in room key (if applicable) to the Housing Office in the Gorsuch Commons during normal operating hours.

If you are checking out earlier than the last week of the academic semester, please contact the UAA Housing office for instruction. Preparatory checklists are provided to assist you in meeting cleaning expectations. Once check-out is complete, your deposit, minus any charges, will be returned to you approximately ten weeks after you move out. If you do not have a balance on your UAOnline student account, your deposit will be mailed to your home address. If you have a balance on your UAOnline student account, your deposit refund will be placed on your student account. To change/update your home address, visit your UAOnline student account. If you are a UAA employee, please see your supervisor about a change of address form.

Failure to completely vacate according to the policies, procedures and deadlines established will result in the assessment of an improper check-out charge and a per day room use charge until vacated. Current Housing rates and fees can be found at the University Housing website:


Room Changes

Room changes may be requested through your Residence Coordinator. Requests may be accommodated on a space available basis and pending approval of the Residence Coordinator. If the request involves an existing roommate conflict, the resident is expected to contact their RA or RC to work toward resolution prior to requesting a room change (for assistance refer to Resources – Conflict Mediation). Changes are not allowed during the “room freeze” period (please consult with the University Housing Office for scheduled room move periods each semester).


Administrative Room Changes

Administrative room changes may be made at the discretion of UHDCS and/or the Department of Residence Life to address roommate conflicts, sanction residential students, accommodate the needs of summer housing contracts, or without cause. Students are responsible for all costs associated with moving including any increases for a different room type or meal plan. Students are responsible for completing an administratively directed room change within the time allotted and at their own expense.


Common Areas and Public Areas

Common areas include any part of a suite/apartment outside of the individual bedrooms. These areas are for the use and enjoyment of all the residents living in that unit. Public areas are spaces open to all residents, and include lounges, laundry rooms, computer labs, and lobby areas. Courtesy and respect for others is expected when using common and public areas. Harassing or disruptive language or actions will not be tolerated in common and public areas. Residents must keep common areas within their apartment or suite clean and orderly. University Housing reserves the right to fill vacant bedrooms at any time. Current residents must provide reasonable storage for incoming residents, and maintain clean and welcoming common areas.


Energy Conservation

A large portion of your housing fees is applied toward utility bills (electricity, gas, and water). Please turn lights off when not in use and conserve water when possible. Please leave windows and garage doors closed during winter months to prevent pipes from freezing and causing you to lose heat and/or hot water. Lighted signs are prohibited in student rooms and common areas.



All residents, within one week of check-in, must provide the Student Health and Counseling Center with evidence that they are in compliance with the UAA Student Health and Counseling Center’s Residential Student Immunization policy. For more information, visit:


(Apartment) Kitchens

Meal preparation, grocery purchases, and kitchen cleanliness are the responsibility of each apartment resident. It is important that apartment mates reach agreement regarding shared use of the apartment kitchens. As an alternative to cooking, apartment residents may select a meal plan, or open a Dining Dollars declining balance account. For information, see the University Dining Guide or call UHDCS at 751-7202.



All motorized vehicles (including motorcycles) on campus must be parked in designated lots. Housing parking lots, including Templewood garages, require a parking permit, which may be purchased at Parking Services, located in the lower level of the Bookstore. In addition to having a parking permit, residents wanting to park their vehicles in University Housing parking lots will need to display a Housing sticker available at no cost from the Commons front desk. Visitor paid parking areas are the Willow and Cottonwood lots. All lots, including visitor lots, are subject to Parking Services timelines, policies, regulations, etc. University Housing residents are not allowed to park in visitor areas (see map in the back for locations).

No motorized vehicles such as scooters, motorcycles, etc. are permitted in residence halls or apartment buildings. No campers, boats, or trailers may be parked in the housing lots. Parking is enforced on a 24-hour basis. Any questions should be directed to Parking Services at 786-1119.


Snow Removal

Residents are periodically required to move their vehicles for snow removal. Advance notice about snow removal is posted on mailroom and apartment doors, on signs next to the Sharon Gagnon Lane and Residential Drive entrances, and the MAC Building 1 bike path. Be sure to look for these notices after a snowfall. It is your responsibility to move your vehicle. All vehicles remaining in the lot after the posted date and time are cited for obstructing University operations and towed. Citations are $15.00 and the owner is also responsible for towing fees. If you plan to leave your car on campus during academic breaks or for other extended personal or academic reasons, you must contact housing for directions to the appropriate lot.