Question for Betty.

I've had stomach problems for 14 years and found out last week I have gallbladder stones.  What can I do to stop the pains I have under my ribs?

Betty's Answer.

Continuing pain under your ribs is a concern that warrants further attention.  A follow-up appointment with your health care provider would be prudent.  Your provider may refer you to a gastroenterologist or other specialist for further evaluation. 

More that one million Americans are diagnosed with gallstones every year.  Most people with gallstones do not have symptoms or complications that require treatment.  However, once a person experiences a first episode of symptoms, the chance of having further and more severe symptoms is likely.  Bilary colic is the most common symptom, with episodes of right upper abdominal pain, just under the ribs.  Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and intolerance to fatty foods. Recurrent bilary pain can progress to a total bile duct obstruction and inflammation of the gall bladder or acute cholecystitis.  This is a serious condition needing immediate medical attention.  It can be life threatening.

You are continuing to have abdominal pain, which may or may not be related to the gallstones.  It is time to have your condition evaluated.