Question for Betty.

I just started having sex with my boyfriend.  I'm just out of high school and am wondering what all we should get tested for (e.g.: AIDS, and hpv), what else?

Betty's Answer.

My first question is what are you doing for protection from STIs (sexually transmitted infections) and pregnancy?  Condoms along with another birth control method are strongly recommended. Keep in mind that some STIs are transmitted through skin to skin contact so that even condoms cannot totally protect you. It is a good idea for both you and your partner to be checked out prior to engaging in sex. Your healthcare provider may recommend testing for:  chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, Herpes Simplex Virus, HPV, Hepatitis C, and syphilis, all depending on your individual circumstances. Congratulations for accepting responsibility for yourself and for your partner's health. See your health care provider, or make an appointment with the SHCC for a health check, as soon as possible.