Dear Betty,

I have been wondering at what age is it necessary to start seeing a gynecologist?  And, can you get ulcers from oral sex?


Dear Reader,

It is a good idea to see a health care provider, not necessarily a gynecologist, before you become sexually active.  This would be for a contraceptive consult, and help in choosing a birth control method.  If you are not sexually active, it still is a good idea to have a physical exam including a breast exam, at age 18 or so.  You do not need a pelvic exam if you have not been sexually active.  As for getting oral ulcers from oral sex. It is possible to acquire herpes simplex virus through oral sex and other sexually transmitted disease.  It is a good idea to use condoms or dental dams.  Oral lesions can also be caused by trauma, or friction.