Handshake, is the University of Alaska’s career management platform for students and alumni. Students and Alumni can access thousands of internships and jobs, schedule career advising appointments, discover career and networking events and more. This page outlines frequently asked questions for navigating Handshake as a student, alumni, employer, hiring UAA department, or faculty/staff.
If you need further assistance with Handshake, please contact UAA Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How do I access my Handshake account?All University of Alaska students have a Handshake account established for them when they register for classes. Log in using your UA credentials (this is the same alaska.edu email and password you use to login to Blackboard and UAOnline) at alaska.joinhandshake.com. Please note that although Blackboard gives you the option to change your email and forward your student email to it, Handshake uses that same alaska.edu email throughout your college time.
- How do I complete my Handshake profile?
The profile update process will take you through a series of questions to help Handshake know who you are (similar to Netflix building your preferences). Your answers create a picture for employers. You can always adjust your answers, updating your profile as often as you wish. Check out the recommended 3 must-haves on your Handshake profile.
- Can I skip the profile completion process?Yes, you can skip the profile creation process. However, not completing this section means not showing up in employer searches or receiving personalized job recommendations.
- Is my Handshake profile private?When you enter Handshake for the first time, you will be prompted to review your privacy settings and update your profile. Your account defaults to private and how open you wish to be is up to you.
- How do I request an appointment with UAA Career Services. Log into Handshake and visit alaska.joinhandshake.com/appointments to request an appointment for a time that works best for you. A carer services professional will review your request and you will receive an email notification once your appointment has been approved. Follow this guide for more details on scheduling appointments.
- How do I search for jobs and opportunities?video and blog for tips on how to get the best personalized job and resource recommendations from Handshake.
- How do I apply to jobs?Check out this video and blog about applying to jobs on Handshake or follow these step-by-step instructions for applying to jobs.
- How can I find specific employers on Handshake?Check out this video and blog about finding employers on Handshake.
- Can I use Handshake for networking?Check out this video and blog about getting helpful career advice from students and alumni on Handshake.
- Where can I learn more about getting the most out of Handshake?
- How do I create an account?
Create a new contact account
- Access Handshake through the link https://app.joinhandshake.com.
- Check out this guide on Getting Started with Handshake for helpful steps and screenshots.
- Enter your company or organization email address.
Connect your new contact account to an employer account.
- If your company or organization is already in Handshake, the name should pull up based
on the domain of your email address. If it doesn’t appear automatically, you can search
for the employer name. Once you see your company name, click "Request".
- If your company or organization has “Auto-Approve Staff” enabled, you will be added.
- If not, you will have to be approved by an existing staff member and will be notified when approved.
- If your company isn’t already in Handshake, you will see the option to "Create New Company".
Join a School.
- Search for and select the schools with whom you wish to connect. Once your request is approved, you will be able to post jobs with them.
- You can choose schools during your sign-up process and add more later.
Open the confirmation email.
- After you create your account, you should receive an automated email from Handshake at the email address you used during the registration process. Click the link in this email to confirm your new account.
- Please contact email@example.com with any questions setting up your employer account.
- How do I post job opportunities?
- What types of opportunities can I post?
Employers are invited to post full-time or part-time, permanent or seasonal opportunities in the following categories:
- On-Campus Student Employment
- Cooperative Education
- Experiential Learning
- Graduate School
- How can I search for and message students in Handshake?
Once your employer account has been approved, you have the option to search among those students who have chosen to make their profile and data public. This is an excellent way to identify students and alumni who might fit your qualifications as potential candidates.
Those approved employers who have an employer trust score over 80% are able to communicate with students inviting them to consider your open positions.
Faculty & Staff
How do I view job and internship postings in Handshake?
Current UA faculty and staff can log into Handshake with their UA credentials to activate their “student” profile.
Review this article to learn more about the activation process. Faculty and staff users can customize their student profile with academic program information and career interests, to get the full student experience with personalized job recommendations. This is a great way to see what kinds of opportunities are recommended to your students.
- Can I post a job in Handshake on behalf of a community employer?
No, only employers can post their positions in Handshake. If you receive a job posting from an employer that you’d like to be made available to students, please forward that information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Career Services would love to connect with that employer partner and help get them share their opportunities in Handshake directly.