Complaint & Dispute Resolution Processes

Formal Resolution Procedures

The following is a list of the formal review procedures at UAA. The links below will lead you to the UAA Fact Finder Handbook or directly to the UA Board of Regents policies and regulations. If you have questions after reviewing the policies, please contact the Dean of Students Office for additional assistance.

These policies apply to all campuses at UAA. If you would like to speak with someone about a complaint at a community campus, please contact the campus directly. 

Academic Dispute Resolution Processes

Nonacademic Complaint and Dispute Resolution Processes

Included in this list are links to offices at UAA that can help students understand and navigate the processes.

External Procedures

Students have the right to address complaints to relevant external agencies.  Most external complaint processes require that the student exhaust avenues of complaint internal to the institution before the external agency will consider a grievance. 

The following contact information is for UAA's state regulatory agency and its regional accreditor. 

  • State Regulatory Agency:

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE)
P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505

  • Accrediting Body:

Northwest Commission on Colleges and Schools (NWCCU)
8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100, Redmond, WA 98052

If you are residing outside of Alaska while attending UAA you may be able to file a concern in the state in which you are residing.  The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) have compiled a PDF of state complaint contacts for your reference. 

In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software

Back to top