Complaint & Dispute Resolution Processes
Formal Resolution Procedures
The following is a list of the formal review procedures at UAA. The links below will lead you to the UAA Fact Finder Handbook or directly to the UA Board of Regents policies and regulations. If you have questions after reviewing the policies, please contact the Dean of Students Office for additional assistance.
These policies apply to all campuses at UAA. If you would like to speak with someone about a complaint at a community campus, please contact the campus directly.
Academic Dispute Resolution Processes
- Final Grades; Denial of Admission or Dismissal from a Program of Study for Academic Reasons; and Other Academic Decisions (published in the Catalog under Academic Rights of Students)
- Academic Honesty (Academic Honesty violations and appeals of decisions fall under the Student Code of Conduct, listed below)
Nonacademic Complaint and Dispute Resolution Processes
Included in this list are links to offices at UAA that can help students understand and navigate the processes.
- Code of Conduct Violation
- Complaints of Sexual Harassment and Sexual Misconduct (pgs. 65-67, UAA Fact Finder, Student Rights, Freedom, and Responsibilities Section)
- Dean of Students Office
- Office of Campus Diversity and Compliance
- Student Health and Counseling Center
- University Police Department
- Department of Residence Life
- Title IX Coordinator
- Complaints of Discrimination
- UAA Employee Discrimination (University Regulation 04.02.020)
- Discrimination Complaints about UAA Students (pgs. 65-67, UAA Fact Finder, Student Rights, Freedom, and Responsibilities Section)
- Disputes Regarding Decisions Associated with Appropriate Academic Adjustments and Programmatic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities (University Regulation 09.06.00)
- Challenges to Content of Student Record (FERPA) (pgs. 55-58 UAA Fact Finder, Student Rights, Freedom, and Responsibilities Section)
- Disputes Related to Student Employment (pgs. 58-59, UAA Fact Finder, Student Rights, Freedom, and Responsibilities Section)
- Complaints about an UAA Employee (pgs. 58-59, UAA Fact Finder, Student Rights, Freedom, and Responsibilities Section)
- Other Complaints
- Contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance or referral
Students have the right to address complaints to relevant external agencies. Most external complaint processes require that the student exhaust avenues of complaint internal to the institution before the external agency will consider a grievance.
The following contact information is for UAA's state regulatory agency and its regional accreditor.
- State Regulatory Agency:
Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE)
P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
- Accrediting Body:
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Schools (NWCCU)
8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100, Redmond, WA 98052
If you are residing outside of Alaska while attending UAA you may be able to file a concern in the state in which you are residing. The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) have compiled a PDF of state complaint contacts for your reference.
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software