Student Complaints and Disputes
Open: Follow Posted Access Signs
The Dean of Students office is open with limited staffing during statewide and local measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Follow posted signs on the Rasmuson Hall doors to access the office. If you need any help contact:
The University of Alaska Anchorage is committed to providing a quality educational experience for all students. This includes ensuring that students have access to the appropriate resources for registering formal complaints. This site is designed to provide students with information on the various formal complaint policies and procedures at UAA. It also includes links to offices at UAA that can help students understand and navigate the processes.
The University of Alaska Anchorage is required to share information about student complaints with its accrediting agency, the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; however, individual identities will not be revealed without the express permission of the complainant or as required by law.
The University of Alaska Anchorage will review the data to identify any trends/issues that warrant further investigation, revision to existing policies, etc.
As specified in UA Board of Regents Policy 09.03 Student Dispute Resolution, the first step for a student to challenge a university action or decision will be to seek an informal resolution with the person responsible for the decision or action, or with the person's immediate supervisor. There are often deadlines for completing the informal process, and students will want to check the particular policy for information about deadlines. If the complaint is not resolved informally, students may file a formal complaint using formal resolution procedures.
A formal complaint is a written request to initiate a formal review procedure. A formal written complaint shall include:
- A statement of the issue,
- The university policy or procedure violated,
- A summary of your attempt at informal resolution as specified in BOR policy 09.03 Student Dispute Resolution,
- A list of potential witnesses,
- Supporting documents, and
- The desired outcome.
For general questions about the complaint processes:
- UAA Main Campus: Dean of Students Office, 907-786-1214, email@example.com
- Kenai Peninsula College: Student Services, Julie Cotterell, 907-262-0314
- Kodiak College: Office of Academic Affairs, Dr. Jared Griffin, 907-486-1229
- Matanuska-Susitna College: Office of Academic Affairs, Holly Bell, 907-746-9324; Student Services, Sandy Gravley, 907-745-9762
- Prince William Sound College: Student Services, Ana Hinkle, 907-834-1612
Challenges to academic decisions or actions of the faculty or academic administration will be reviewed according to the procedure that implements the BOR policy 09.03 Student Dispute Resolution and its University Regulation on Student Dispute Resolution: Review of Academic Decisions or Actions. Appropriate issues for this procedure include such things as alleged grading error or arbitrary or capricious assignment of final grades or dismissal from or denial of admission to an academic program based upon academic considerations.
- Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure (UAA Catalog - Academic Standards & Regulations - Academic Rights of Students)
- To request a formal review, students need to fill out the request form and submit to the dean/community campus director along with any supporting documentation.
- Each college and community campus designates a liaison trained to help students understand the Academic Dispute Resolution Procedure. Students that do not know what college/community campus to contact are encouraged to reach out to the UAA Dean of Students Office.
- Academic honesty: Academic honesty violations and appeals of decisions fall under the Student Misconduct and Academic Dishonesty linked below.
Included in this list are links to offices and policies at UAA that can help students understand and navigate the processes:
- Student Misconduct and Academic Dishonesty
- Sex/Gender-based Discrimination & Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Complaints of Discrimination
- Disputes Regarding Decisions Associated with Appropriate Academic Adjustments and Programmatic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities
Agencies for External Disputes
If you are residing outside of Alaska while attending UAA please see the UAA State Authorization: Disclosures and Student Complaints site for guidance regarding external complaints.
The following contact information is for UAA's state regulatory agency and its regional accreditor.
State Regulatory Agency:
Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE)
P. O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Schools (NWCCU)
8060 165th Avenue N.E., Suite 100
Redmond, WA 98052