Federal Direct Student Loans at UAA
Contact via Phone and Email: Closed to In-person Traffic
The University Center is closed to walk-in traffic due to statewide and local measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The call center is operational and staff are able to take your call Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
What are "Federal Direct Student Loans"?
- Federal Direct Loans allow students and some parents to borrow money to help pay for educationally related expenses through loan programs supported by the federal government. Students that are eligible for a Federal Direct Loan will have it offered on their award letter. They will then have the opportunity to accept or decline all or part of the loan via UAOnline, as outlined on the Financial Aid Checklist.
- Financial Aid recommends students maximize all grant and scholarship options before borrowing student loans. It is also recommended to only borrow what is absolutely needed to cover the cost of education.
Additional Resources about Loan Types
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
- Federal Direct PARENT PLUS Loan