Federal Work Study Program
Contact via Phone and Email: Closed to In-person Traffic
The University Center is closed to walk-in traffic due to statewide and local measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The call center is operational and staff are able to take your call Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Federal Work Study is a program that allows college students to work at their university in exchange for Federal Work Study Funds.
- Half of the money a student worker is paid comes from the program, and the other half comes from the university.
- Federal Work Study is available to students who show financial need and indicate interest in programs other than grants when filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Federal Work Study funding is a limited pot of money provided to UAA. Students should submit thier FAFSA and apply for student employment early to increase thier chance of receiving funding.
- Federal Work Study student employees are only permitted to up to 20 hours a week when school is in session, so that university employment does not interfere with academic studies. You must always check with your supervisor before working extra hours.
- Please be aware - earnings from student employment funded by Federal Work Study will never disburse to your student account to cover tuition/fee charges. Payment occurs via an external Human Resources process as you work and earn wages.
Creative ways to use FWS
UAA offers many Federal Work Study opportunities to its students. Some students even find a way to earn relevant career experience by matching their degree program with on-campus student jobs.
- Are you interested in marketing and sales? Perhaps a job in the UAA Bookstore is for you?
- Thinking about becoming a teacher? Working as a tutor in the UAA Learning Resource Center would be a great way to gain experience in an education-related area.
These are just a few ways you can make FWS student employment work contribute toward your present and future goals. That's not all, there are many other offices and departments around campus to consider.
Apply for Federal Work Study Today
Federal Work Study Employee Responsibilities
- Begin work only after all new hire paperwork has been completed.
- Notify the Office of Financial Aid and your immediate supervisor at once if you withdraw from the University or drop below half-time (6 credit hours). You cannot receive Federal Work Study funds if you are taking less than 6 credit hours.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the SAP policy of the University.
- Student employees should only work up to 20 hours a week while the University is in session.
- No students can work during times scheduled for classes.
- Report time worked accurately and in a timely manner every pay period (every two weeks).
- Notify supervisor in advance if rearranging regularly scheduled hours.
- Notify supervisor of absences in advance.
- Refrain from conducting personal business while working.
- Do not misuse University property, including keys, access cards, office equipment, vehicles, or mail and phone service.
- Be professional and respectful while on the job. Discuss dress and appearance with your supervisor.
What is Federal Work-Study?