49th Finishers Scholarship
Come Back to College.
We Can Help.
Have you earned some college credit but not a degree?
Become a 49th Finisher and let UAA help you graduate, expand your career opportunities and reach your dreams. Together, with your drive to complete college and 49th Finishers Scholarship tuition assistance, UAA can support you in finishing your degree and propel you in the direction you want to go in life. Whether you took a break from your studies to focus on family, work, or other endeavors — or studied elsewhere, there is a home for you at UAA.
You’ve got this - Apply by November 15, 2020
What is the Scholarship Amount?
Eligible students receive*:
$2,000 per year - Full Time (enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits)
$1,000 per year - Part Time (enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits)
*Scholarship covers tuition costs only and is renewable up to $8,000 while maintaining satisfactory academic progress.
Am I Eligible?
To qualify, you must:
- Be a new incoming transfer student or a former degree-seeking student at UAA who has some college credit but no bachelor’s degree*
- Apply for, and be admitted to, a baccalaureate program for the spring 2021
- Be an Alaska resident**
- Have completed the FAFSA
- Show satisfactory academic progress
- Meet all deadlines
To receive the 49th Finishers Scholarship:
- Complete the readmit/transfer application for admission by Nov. 15, 2020
- Complete the FAFSA by Nov. 15, 2020
- Must have a complete admission file and residency determination completed by Dec. 15, 2020. The Office of Admissions will notify students who meet other requirements who have an incomplete file and/or an undetermined residency status shortly after the Nov. 15th deadline.
How and when will I be notified if I am awarded?
- The first round of notifications will be sent out shortly after the Nov. 15th deadline. For students who need to finalize their admission and/or residency status, eligibility notification will occur in December and January. Those students who do not meet eligibility conditions will not be notified.
Will I be notified if I am not eligible?
- UAA will only notify students who are eligible for the scholarship.
*If you are a returning UAA student, you must have not taken a UAA class since Fall 2018 to be eligible.
**For the 49th Finishers Scholarship only students who can show Alaska residency through Option A and Option B on the residency application will be considered. Those who apply for and meet Option C (Exemption of Nonresident Surcharge) are not eligible. If you meet other eligibility requirements but your residency is undetermined, you will receive notification to submit the residency application.
The benefits of earning a college degree are boundless
A diploma from UAA will equip you with the tools you need to navigate and lead in our ever-evolving world.
Top reasons to finish your degree at UAA:
- Increase your earning potential
- Top 15% for best long-term return on investment (ROI) out of all institutions
- #1 in long-term ROI among our peer institutions
- Receive more access to resources — including a network of over 57,000 alumni
"I think all of our nontraditional students are a sign that UAA is actually ingrained in the community.”
Rose came back to Alaska after some time away from her studies and chose UAA because of the affordability and open access, which quickly enabled her to focus on her academic goals. At UAA, she realized the importance of getting involved on campus. She immersed herself in student government and other student leadership roles. Rose now plans to pursue a Master’s degree while continuing her passion for languages by teaching English in Germany.
"I look at education as the engine of social mobility. I find myself to be proof of that."
Gabrielle’s path to earning her degree was lengthy and not without challenges. Her passion for science was reignited from a UAA on-campus lab assistant job and reaffirmed why she was pursuing an education. Fourteen years in the making, Gabrielle attributes staying focused and following her interests to helping her receive her geology diploma.