Attending summer and need financial aid?

Many students are unaware that Financial Aid is available for the summer semester. As part of the Stay on Track campaign, many students take coursework during the Summer to accelerate their progress to reach graduation or completion goals sooner.

Summer Financial Aid - Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Q: How do I apply for federal loans in Summer?

    A: Steps to apply for federal student loans:

    1. Submit a FAFSA for the appropriate year at, if you haven't already. Example: you'll need a 2017/18 FAFSA to receive loans for the summer 2018 semester.
    2. Finalize your summer registration. The Office of Financial Aid determines eligibility for federal loans based on your enrollment. Students must be meeting satisfactory academic progress (SAP) and be enrolled at least half-time (6 credit hours). 
    3. Submit a Summer Revision Request Form  if you need to borrow Federal Student Loans and did not use your full annual loan limit in the fall and/or spring semester. 
  • Q: How do I use my Federal PELL grant to help pay for the summer?

    A: The Federal Pell Grant is automatically awarded to eligible students within approximately one week of registering for summer classes.  Disbursement will occur ten (10) days prior to the start of your first summer session. Enrollment changes made to a later session could result in reversal of Federal Pell Grant funds, including money previously refunded to you.

  • Q: When is the last day I can fill out  a FAFSA for the current award year?
    A: The last day you can fill out the current award year FAFSA is June 30th.
  • Q: What other options are available if I  already borrowed all my Federal Student Loans?

    A: Alternative Loans:  You have the option of applying for a private, alternative loan if you have exhausted all of your Federal student loans for the year or if you need additional assistance covering costs such as aviation flight fees or study abroad. Alternative loans traditionally have a higher interest rate so you should consider all other possible resources before borrowing. Always borrow wisely and only what you need! Follow this link for more information on applying for Alternative Loans.

  • Q: Can I use my Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) in the Summer?

    A: Summer APS is available to those eligible students who have not yet been paid two full-time disbursements of APS in the current award year and who enroll in at least six (6) credits of undergraduate or five (5) graduate credits for students admitted in a graduate program. Summer APS is subject to the same continuing eligibility requirements as Fall or Spring. Disbursements would be counted towards the student's total of 8 disbursements. 

  • Q: If I add more classes after the add/drop deadline ("census date") will I be able to get more money?

    A: For grants like the Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, or the UA Completion Grant, your eligibility is determined based on enrollment as of the "census date" which is the same date as the add/drop deadline for full length (i.e. 10 week) summer classes. Any classes added after that date will not increase grant eligibility.

    Federal student loans require you to be in at least half-time enrollment status (6 credits for undergraduates or 5 credits for graduates). Classes added after the census date count toward your half-time enrollment status. If you start the semester as less than half-time and were not eligible for loans, but add a class after the census date, you will be eligible to receive your federal loan if you're meeting all other eligibility requirements. 

Back to top