Financial Considerations for International Students

Special Cost Considerations

International students are responsible for securing their own funding.  In order to obtain an I-20 students must show a year's worth of funding (2 semesters) to cover tuition, books, fees, lodging, meals, day-today-expenses and health insurance.  Need based financial aid is not available for international students.  We recommend you research scholarship opportunities that may be available in your home country to study in the US.

Please refer to the proper table below to see an estimate of what it will cost to attend UAA for 1 year (US dollars).

Financial Requirements

Estimated Expenses Undergraduate Graduate
Tuition & Fees $22,860 $18,286
Housing & Meals $12,000 $12,000
Books $ 1,608 $     990
Day-to-Day Expenses $2,500 $ 2,500
Health Insurance $ 1,428 $ 1,428
Funding to Show $40,396 $35,204


 *Sister City Financial Requirement

Estimated Expenses Undergraduate Graduate
Tuition & Fees $  7,098 $  9,584
Housing & Meals $12,000 $12,000
Books $  1,608 $     990
Day-to-Day Expenses $  2,500 $  2,500
Health Insurance $  1,428 $  1,428
Funding to Show $24,634 $25,502


Special Program Total Estimated Expenses

Some programs charge a surcharge for their courses in addition to regular tuition. Students in these majors should be prepared to show additional funding, and pay a higher amount per major course.

College of Business $41,866 $36,878
College of Engineering $41,866 $36,878
Project Management N/A $43,592
College of Business $25,810 $28,176
College of Engineering $25,810 $28,176
Project Management N/A $34,890

 *Sister  city rates apply only to students who are residents of the following cities.  In order to be considered for the sister city tuition rate, the student must fill out a residency form and provide an official document from their government proving their residency in a city listed below.  In order to maintain eligibility for resident tuition rates, students are required to submit current verification from their home country that they have maintained their residency in the qualifying city, along with a new residency form, each time they require a new I-20 due to a change in status.

Argentina Ushuaia
Australia Darwin
Canada Inuvik, Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Yukon Territory
China Harbin, Heilongjiang Province (sister state/province), Mishan City
England Whitby
France Aix-les-Bains
India Pune
Italy Fanano
Korea Incheon
Japan Chitose, Gero, Itadori-Mura, Kanayama-Gara, Mombetsu City, Myoto-Kogen, Nemuro, Noshiro, Obihiro, Saroma, Teshio, Takienoue Town
Mongolia Erdenet City
Norway Hammerfest, Mo I Rana, Tromso
Philippines Camiling, Kalibo
Russia Lavrentiya, Khabarovsk Region (sister state/province), Lenin District, Sereniki,  Magadan, Mirnyy, Noglicki, Okha, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatski, Providenya, Yakutsk, Vladivostok, Yelisovo
Taiwan Tainan City


Required Financial Documentation

In order to receive an I-20 document for international admission to UAA, U.S. federal immigration regulations require that international applicants provide proof of adequate financial resources to live and study in the U.S. for at least one full academic year.

The Affidavit of Financial Support is a statement from the student and/or his or her sponsor(s) stating that they will be responsible for the financial well-being of the student while attending UAA.

In addition to the Affidavit of Financial Support, financial proof, such as a bank statement or sponsorship letter from a government or agency must be provided to UAA.  Each time the student needs a new I-20 due to a change in status, the student must submit current financial documentation.  Examples of a change in status that require a new I-20 include a change in degree level or returning to a new degree program after completion of OPT.

Acceptable Forms of Documentation

The following may be used as documentation of funds:

  • An official dated bank statement that includes the name of the financial institution, the account holder’s name, and clearly indicates the currency and the account balance.
  • Letters of sponsorship must be on official letterhead, include exact dollar amount of support (in U.S. dollars) and dates of sponsorship. 
  • Letter of Sponsorship for Room and Board
    • Persons who own their own residence in Anchorage and anticipate hosting the student for the duration of his or her stay may complete the letter of sponsorship for room and board and may deduct this amount from what is required to be shown.

Each individual contributing financially to your education must complete the Affidavit of Financial Support for International Students, or Letter of Sponsorship.

Unacceptable Documentation of Funds

The following may not be used as documentation of funds:

  • Statements verifying employment and salary
  • Insurance premiums and policies
  • Property or personal assets (automobiles, land, buildings, jewelry, etc.)
  • Income tax returns

All documents (acceptable or unacceptable) submitted for issuing the immigration document become the property of the University of Alaska  and will not be returned to the student.




Back to top