Student Showcase highlights the extraordinary work of students throughout the University of Alaska Anchorage system. Student Showcase creates an opportunity for dialogue among university and community members. Students submit their best original papers and projects each year and an anonymous review is done by a faculty member of the submission discipline. The highest marks are presented at the Student Showcase Conference. Distinguished community members are invited to the Conference to evaluate, critique, and comment on students' work.
The Student Showcase Conference and Award Ceremony is celebrating its 36th anniversary in 2020. The Conference remains unique in the State of Alaska as only students present original papers and projects.
The Student Showcase Committee reviews policies and procedures, promotional materials, and selected award winners. For more information please contact 907-786-1086 or email@example.com.
36th Annual Showcase 2020
The deadline for the 36th Annual Student Showcase is Friday, January 31.
The UAA Student Academic Showcase Conference is April 2-3, 2020. Winners will be announced April 3 at 4:30 p.m. in the UAA Student Union Den.
Policies and Procedures
The Student Showcase is open to University of Alaska Anchorage students, including graduate and middle college students, from the following campuses: Anchorage, Matanuska-Susitna, Chugiak/Eagle River, Kenai Peninsula, Kachemak Bay, Kodiak, and Prince William Sound. Works submitted may be on any subject, but must have been produced for a UAA course or program in spring, summer, or fall semesters of the previous year to the application. Submissions are not limited to written works and may include performance, visual art, music and other mediums.
- Application. Consider the best coursework produced in a class over the past year and review it with a professor. Submitted works must be no longer than 30 typed, double-spaced pages, (excluding bibliography), longer works must be condensed to meet this page limit. Entries, other than written projects, must include a slide, a tape/CD, website or picture of the subject matter, along with a specific description of the work.
- Screening. Once the application has been submitted with a copy of the work, an anonymous review will be done by two faculty members of the Showcase submission discipline. If the total score is high enough, the applicant will be invited to present their work in the Student Showcase Conference. Conference invitations are announced in February.
- Conference and Awards. At the conference selected applicants will make a presentation of approximately 10 minutes followed by 5 minutes of Q&A and dialogue. A distinguished panel of three community panelist judges will evaluate the presentation on the day of the conference. Their scores are combined with the faculty scores to determine the Student Showcase winners who will be published in the journal. All students who present at the conference are recognized in the journal. All student presenters, their faculty, and commentators, are invited to the Showcase Awards where the winners will be announced. Awards include a cash prize and publication in the Student Showcase Journal.
Only one entry may be submitted per student. Entries are due January 31. Students will be required to present their work at the Student Academic Showcase Conference in order to be considered for awards/publication.
Student Showcase Committee
The Student Showcase Committee meets monthly to review policies, procedures, promotional materials, and guidelines for selecting presenters and winners.
2018-2019 Student Showcase Committee
- Mr. Zac Clark, Student Life & Leadership firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Elizabeth Dennison, History Department email@example.com
- Steven Godfrey, Art Department firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jane Mastre, Student Life & Leadership email@example.com
- Dr. Kamal Narang, Mathematics Department firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Jennifer Stone, English Department email@example.com
To join the Student Showcase Committee please contact Zac Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org.