About On-Campus Living, Residence Life, & Housing
Whether students are returning to campus, or living away from home for the first time, the staffs of University Housing, Dining & Conference Services (Housing) and the Department of Residence Life (Residence Life) are here to help.
As students move away from home, they'll find another home right here at our campus. Our size and proximity to the University district will quickly give students a sense of belonging, whether they select the Templewood or Main Apartment Complex (MAC) apartments, or one of our three residence halls. Located in a wooded setting, our on-campus experience offers students a unique opportunity to make connections within the university community, with fellow students, staff, faculty, as well as campus resources, organizations and activities.
UAA's On-Campus Living community offers the convenience of hassle-free living, with no separate bills to pay, no searches for parking, and shuttles to other parts of campus throughout the day, and connects with walking trails to over 85 miles of recreational trails with views of the Chugach Mountain Range.
Housing, Dining & Conference Services and Residence Life work closely together to ensure that all aspects of the residential student experience, from housing applications to room maintenance, and from community involvement to student success, are covered.
Under Student Affairs, Residence Life provides a living and learning environment through programs, services, and opportunities that contribute to the personal and academic success of students living in the UAA residential community. In addition, Residence Life employs and trains the Residence Coordinators, Resident Assistants, Peer Mentors, Programming Assistants and Desk Assistants who live and work in the residence halls.
Under Business Services, Housing handles meal plans, maintenance concerns, and other details related to the "business" side of On-Campus Living. Before moving to campus, Housing is the primary contact for most prospective residents and their families, and provides answers to the most common questions residents may have about moving into a campus living community, including applications, rates, and meal plans.
Want to learn more? Click here to visit UAA Housing's website.
The Department of Residence Life (DRL) is comprised of student and professional staff dedicated to supporting student success, enriching the campus community, and providing fun and safe activities for students. DRL employs 8 professional staff members and coordinates with a Student Success Counselor available through the Dean of Students Office.
- Live-in Associate Director/Main Apartment Complex Residence Coordinator.
- 3 Live-in Residence Coordinators. Each hall or complex area has a live-in professional staff member. These staff members have graduate-level degrees and specialize in leading and shaping a community that provides students a living / learning experience which supports their academic success.
- 35 Resident Advisors. These student leaders organize activities, provide student support, develop a sense of community and assist in creating a safe and educational living / learning environment.
- 16 Peer Mentors. These student staff members provide personal and academic support to students through study groups, social programs and outreach activities.
- Desk Assistants. Each hall has a front desk managed by a student desk assistant. Desk assistants help to increase building security, refer students to campus resources, and check out equipment and supplies to residents. The number of desk assistants hired is contingent on the number of desk hours available.
- Office Assistants. The Department of Residence Life front desk is staffed Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm, by student office assistants who provide support to the Office Manager and other professional staff members. In addition to serving as a front-line contact for the Department of Residence Life, these paraprofessional student leaders help promote and advertise On-Campus Living programs, refer students and other office visitors to resources, and assist the Office Manager with day-to-day operations. The number of office assistants varies from semester to semester based on schedules and availability.
- Graphic Design & Marketing Assistant. The Department of Residence Life main office employs a student leader to assist with graphic design and social media support for all of Residence Life, Residence Hall Association, and On-Campus Living marketing efforts.