Before you start applying for financial aid, there are few basic requirements to consider:
- You must be fully admitted to UAA to receive any financial aid.
- You must be admitted into a degree-seeking program (Associate of Arts/Science, Bachelor of Arts/Science, or Masters Degree programs) or an eligible certificate program to receive any financial aid.
- You must submit your final high school transcript or equivalent qualification to receive any financial aid.
Until we have received your final high-school transcript, your admission will be placed in a "pending" status. Please see part II of the High School Completion Verification Form for more information.
- Students accepting federal student loans must be registered for a minimum of six credits as an undergraduate student, or a minimum of five credits as a graduate student.
For more details you can visit the Admissions website or call (907) 786-1480.
Steps to Receiving Your Financial Aid
Click on the boxes below to read each step
Complete your FAFSA
- The first F in FAFSA stands for "Free." You can fill it out online for free in under 30 minutes.
- Make sure you apply through FAFSA.ed.gov, and not FAFSA.com. FAFSA.com is a proprietary website that is not affiliated with the Department of Education, and is not a free resource.
- List the UAA school code (011462) on the FAFSA, and we will automatically receive an electronic copy. UAA requires access to a current and valid FAFSA in order for us to process any of your financial aid.
- If you are selected for FAFSA Verification, you are required to complete a Verification Worksheet and other financial forms before any financial aid can be processed or disbursed.
Apply for UAA Scholarships
To apply for scholarships at UAA, you must submit the UAOnline Scholarship Application by February 15th before the start of the academic year for which you are applying.
Example: If you wish to apply for UAA Scholarships for Fall 2015 or Spring 2016, you must submit your UAOnline Scholarship Application by February 15, 2015. If you wish to receive UAA Scholarships for Fall 2014 or Spring 2015, the deadline has already passed.
Applications currently being submitted will be considered primarily for the 2015-2016 academic year. However, there are a few scholarships that accept applications all year long, so please consider applying even if the deadline has passed. Visit the UAA Scholarship website for further information.
How to Apply for UAA Scholarships
Review your financial aid award letter
After we receive an electronic copy of your Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA), we will mail you a UAA Financial Aid Award Letter within a few weeks. All new students will be sent a physical letter in mail. Returning students will be sent all further award letters through their preferred e-mail addresses only. Along with your Award Letter, you will find a copy of the Financial Aid Award Conditions. Please read through all these documents carefully, because they contain important information about your financial aid.
Accept or decline your awards
- Log in to UAOnline to
accept or decline any of the offered awards. Federal Work Study awards may be
accepted or declined; federal student loans may be fully accepted, partially accepted, or declined. Note: this step must be completed or loan requests will not be processed.
- If you qualify for the Pell Grant or other scholarships or grants, they will automatically be accepted for you as they are free money!
- If you have any difficulty accepting your awards, please refer to our detailed instructions on how to accept your awards.
Complete online Entrance Counseling
If you intend to borrow Federal
Stafford Loans, and you are a first time borrower, you must complete Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling. Please be aware, if you do not complete your required Loan Entrance Counseling, this will delay your Stafford Loan disbursements.
Complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
The Master Promissory Note is an official, legal document in which you agree to certain terms, conditions, and repayment requirements of your loan. Once you have completed an MPN, this agreement will also be applied to any other direct loans you decide to take out in the next 10 years. However, a separate MPN is required for Direct Stafford loans, Graduate PLUS loans, and Parent PLUS loans.
Undergraduate and Graduate Direct Stafford subsidized and unsubsidized borrowers who are in the Direct Loan Program will sign one promissory note which can be used for all of that program’s loans over multiple academic years.
Graduate/Professional student borrowers are also possibly eligible for a Graduate PLUS loan. Eligibility for a Graduate PLUS loan is contingent upon creditworthiness.
Parent PLUS loan borrowers can only take out this loan on a dependent undergraduate student's behalf. This loan is also contingent upon creditworthiness.
All Direct Loan Master Promissory notes can be accessed and e-signed. Each MPN takes approximately 30 minutes to complete.
Note: make sure you allow enough time to complete the entire process in a single session. If you exit the web site before submitting your signed MPN in Step 8 and return later, you'll have to start over beginning with Step 1!
Monitor your financial aid status on UAOnline
You are responsible for monitoring your Financial Aid status. Therefore it is important that you do the two following things:
After your award letter is mailed to you, communications regarding your financial aid will come via your UAOnline account and your UAA email account. If you have any further questions E-mail us at email@example.com or contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at (907)786-1480.