Budget Forecast or Need Sheet

Budget Forecast or Need Sheet is a document indicating estimated cost of attendance for a specific award year. The Budget Forecast is used to show private scholarship organizations the student's anticipated cost for college and what resources have been awarded. This is not a copy of your UAA bill.

If you are applying for a Scholarship that requires a Budget Forecast or Need Sheet, be aware of the organization's deadlines; they are not necessarily the same as UAA deadlines. Processing of Budget Forecasts during peak times of year, take between 5-8 business days to process.

To ensure that your Budget Forecast is processed on time, make sure you submit it at least 10 business days before the Scholarship agency deadline. Forecasts are processed in the order they are received. There is no guarantee that your Budget Forecast will be submitted to your scholarship agency by their deadline if submitted with less than the necessary 10 business days to process.

Return to Top


 Change of Dependency Status

Conditions for Requesting a Change of Dependency Status

The Federal Department of Education, using rules established by Congress, gives the following conditions for determination of dependency status. It is defined in statute rather than regulation under the HIGHER EDUCATION ACT AS AMENDED THROUGH DECEMBER 1994, TITLE IV, PART A, SECTION 480(d)

(d) INDEPENDENT STUDENT.--The term "independent", when used with respect to a student, means any individual who can answer yes to one of the following statements--
  1. 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year.
  2. Married (even if your separated but not divorced).
  3. Working on a masters or doctorate program during the award year.
  4. Currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training.
  5. Is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
  6. Have children who will receive more than half of their support from you during the award year.
  7. Have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who received more than half of their support from you during the award year.
  8. At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court
  9. Emancipated minor.
  10. Legal guardianship.
  11. At any time on or after July 1 of current award year did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that your were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  12. At any time on or after July 1 of current award year did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless.
  13. At any time of or after July 1 of current award year did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supported and at risk of being homeless.
Process for Requesting a Dependency Override
If you feel that you have an unusual circumstance that may qualify you to become independent of your parents for financial aid purposes, please submit the following documentation. ( Please Note: income is not an unusual circumstance and a parents unwillingness to pay is not a reason to apply for a dependency override, as stated in DCL GEN-93-11, May 1993)

This documentation must include:
    (1) A Professional Judgment: Change of Dependency Status Form
    (2) A letter from you describing the circumstance in detail and
    (3) A signed statement from two professionals, on letterhead, (counselor, MD, clergy,
         caseworker, etc) who know your circumstances or
    (4) A copy of Court papers indicating Ward of the Court status until age 18

We may take up to 30 days to review your appeal. After your request is reviewed a decision will be mailed to you in writing. The request for dependency override comes under the regulations dealing with professional judgement (Higher Education Act, sec. 479A(a)) and therefore the decision is final and cannot be appealed. You must reapply each year if your request is approved.

Return to Top


Consortium Agreements

Effective March 2013, UAA Office of Student Financial Assistance will no longer enter into consortium agreements with institutions outside the University of Alaska for UAA students. Students needing to take courses outside of UA will need to budget private funds to do so.

UAA Office of Student Financial Assistance will continue to enter into consortium agreements for students attending UAA as their host campus.

Return to Top



All federal financial aid, most scholarships and tuition waivers awarded by university departments are applied directly to the student billing account at the beginning of each term or once the student has fulfilled the requirements to receive the funds.

Final grant and scholarship calculations for each term are made at the end of the add/drop period. Payment will be based on your credit load at that time.

After current charges on the student's billing account have been paid, any excess financial aid is disbursed to the student in the form of a refund check or deposited to your personal bank account via direct deposit (if you have set it up). 

Be aware that the refund check will be mailed to the address listed in the Registrar's Office. Verify your address at UAOnline and if any changes need to be made click the personal information link.

Student loan and scholarship checks from external agencies will be available for students to sign in the disbursements office once received and processed. The disbursement office is located at the University Center inside the lobby.

You may check to see if monies have been applied to your student account in UAonline under the STUDENT ACCOUNT TAB

Return to Top



Eligibility for Federal Aid

For all Federal Programs, the student must: 

1. Be a U.S. citizen, a national or other eligible non-citizen.

2. Not be in default on any Federal Student Loan or owe a a refund or repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, State Student Incentive Grant (SSIG) or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). This also applies to parents if applying for Federal PLUS loans.

3. Have a valid Social Security number.

5. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible degree or certificate program at UAA.

6. Males over the age of 18 must comply with U.S. Selective Service registraion requirements to be eligible for federal and state aid. 

7. Have a high school diploma from an accredited high school or GED.

8. Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements as outlined in UAA's SAP policy below.

If you meet the above criteria, your first step in the application process is to complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov.

Return to Top


Emergency Loan Fund Policy

The Emergency Loan Fund (ELF) is primarily to assist students with funds for books or other school-related costs during the first three weeks of the semester. The maximum loan amount for a full time student is $600, for three quarter time is $400 and for half time students the maximum is $200. The ELF application cannot be faxed or e-mailed.

Return to Top


Federal Work Study (FWS)

If F.W.S is included in your award offer, you may apply for an open position on one of the UAA campuses. Check out the website for information on how to obtain a position. Having an award does not guarantee you a position. The amount of your award is the maximum you are eligible to earn. It is important to note that F.W.S funds are paid to you in a paycheck if you get a qualifying position. They are not credited toward paying your school bill.

Return to Top


Financial Aid Code of Conduct

Financial Aid Code of Conduct

Return to Top


Financial Aid Revisions

Under certain circumstances revisions can be made to your Financial Aid Award. Examples: You may have been offered a Loan or Work Study and initially turned it down, but now have changed your mind. Another example might be that you never accepted your loans on UAonline and they were canceled, so now you would like to reinstate them. You must turn in a Revision form stating what you would like changed and the total amounts requested per fund type.

NOTE regarding Summer Term Revision Requests: There is a separate Revision Request Form for those who will attend Summer semester.  We cannot process a summer revision request until you register for summer classes.

If requesting a grade level change, to receive an increase in your loans, your FAFSA may be selected for verification. Verification must then be completed before any future disbursements can occur. This may result in a decrease of Financial Aid for the entire academic year. Please review the Verification Policies and Procedures.

Return to Top


Financial Aid Authorization

Use of Title IV funds to pay non-institutional charges. Without this authorization Title IV funds (including Pell, SEOG, and Stafford Subsidized, Unsubidized, and PLUS Loans), can only be used to pay for tuition and fees at the university. This form is an authorization allowing UAA to use Title IV funds to pay for non-institutional charges (such as: library fines, parking fines, health center charges, housing fees, fines, lost keys,damage charges, childcare and accounting fees). This form is also used to alot funds for deposit to your Wolfbucks account.

Return to Top


Gainful Employment

The U.S. Education Department's gainful employment regulations require disclosure of certain program information to students and prospective students. Gainful employment programs are those "that prepare students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation."  Public institutions are required to report this information for all undergraduate and graduate programs that are Title IV eligible and that lead to certificates, diplomas, graduate certificates or specialist awards. Reporting is not required for undergraduate certificates and diplomas less than 16 credits and graduate certificates and specialist awards that are less than 8 credits.

Gainful employment regulations require disclosure of the following information for each "gainful employment" program:

  • Information on occupations that the program prepares students to enter;

  • Program costs including tuition and fees and book and supplies;

  • Median federal and private loan debt of recent graduates (when more than 10 students have graduated in the aid year);

  • On-time completion rate of recent graduates (when more than 10 students have graduated in the aid year); and

  • Job placement rate of recent graduates. 

Information for each of the "gainful employment" programs offered at University of Alaska Anchorage can be found on UAA's Gainful Employment Website.

Return to top





The University of Alaska Anchorage Office of Student Financial Assistance may not award financial aid over the estimated cost of attendance. The Cost of Attendance is defined for this purpose as estimated costs for tuition, books, fees, room, board, transportation and miscellaneous costs incurred by the student relative to attending the university. If additional resources become available, a reduction in previously paid or anticipated awards may occur to keep the student's aid package within the estimated cost. If at any time during the enrollment period additional resources become available in excess of a student's eligibility for assistance, federal regulations require a reduction in previous awards offered and or disbursed (including grants, scholarships, and loan funding).
All or part of any loan funds may be returned to the lender if additional resources become available to a student that were not originally considered when eligibility for the loan was determined; returned funds would be applied to reduce the student's loan debt. Undisbursed anticipated loan funds may also be canceled or reduced prior to disbursement if resources exceed the individual term need calculation.

Return to Top


Release of Information

In accordance with The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Financial Aid Office will not release information about the student to anyone, (including to parents and spouses), without the specific written consent of the student. An Authorization to Release of Educational Information Form must be completed stating the particular people authorized to obtain information. No information will be given without the form being signed and dated.

Return to Top


Repeated Coursework

Effective July,1 2011, Federal Regulations specify that students may receive federal financial aid funding for one repetition of a previously passed course.

Examples of repeated coursework that MAY count toward a students enrollment status for the purpose of determining financial aid eligibility are listed below:

  • Repeated coursework may be included if the student received an unsatisfactory or failing grade. Students may repeat a failed course until it is passed.

  • Repeated coursework may be included when determining enrollment status in a term-based program if a student needs to meet an academic standard for a  previously passed course, such as a minimum grade.

    For example: Student received a 'D' in a course which requires a minimum of 'C' for his/her major. Please note that this is limited to one repetition of a passed course.

  • If a student passed a class once and then is repaid for retaking it and withdraws the second time, that withdrawal does not count as their paid retake and the student may receive financial aid for another attempt.Examples of repeated coursework that may NOT count towards a student's enrollment status for the purpose of determining financial aid eligibility are listed below:

  • Retaking a passed course more than once. If a student receives a 'D' in a course and decides to repeat the course to improve his/her GPA, he/she may repeat this passed course ONE time. Should the student want to repeat it a second time, the course would not count toward the student's enrollment status.

  • If a student passed a class once and then is repaid for retaking it and fails the second time, that failure counts as their paid retake and the student may not be paid for retaking the class a third time.



  • All repeated courses affect financial aid satisfactory academic progress calculations. Regardless of whether the student received financial aid or not, all repeated coursework must be counted as attempted credits.

  • Certain course descriptions listed in the UAA Catalog may state that a specific course "must be repeated for degree" or "may be repeated for credit if content differs." A student may receive financial aid for these courses as long as the course content differs, regardless of receipt of a passing grade.

Return to Top



Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Appeal for Reinstatement of Financial Aid

The University of Alaska system has a new Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy that we believe is consistent with the institutional mission and academic policies of the University and conforms to the U.S. Department of Education's recently published regulations. This new SAP policy was implemented July 1, 2011 with the fall 2011 semester being the first semester evaluated under this new policy. All students registered for the spring 2012 semester and beyond will have to comply with the requirements outlined in this policy.

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress in order to retain financial aid eligibility regardless of whether they are presently receiving financial aid.  All federal, state and institutional aid is contingent upon SAP.  

Students that fail to maintain SAP will have their financial aid suspended until they successfully appeal or reinstate themselves. The appeal process is for students that had exceptional circumstances prevent them from maintaining the minimum standards of the SAP policy. Exceptional circumstances include student illness or injury, the death of a loved one or other special circumstances. Circumstances deemed similar to those experienced by most students and/or common to the majority of successful students will not constitute unusual circumstances, and such appeals will not be approved. For example, appeals citing the following reasons for being unable to maintain SAP will not be approved:

  • youthfulness or immaturity
  • lack of childcare, unless a student can document an unexpected and unavoidable change to childcare situation that occurred after the start of the semester and a thorough explanation of why it could not be resolved in a timely manner
  • medical reasons that were known to the student prior to the beginning of the semester, unless the student can document unforeseeable complications
  • employment conflicts

Students must clearly demonstrate and document the reasons why they are non-compliant with the policy and demonstrate a well-thought-out plan for reinstatement and/or graduation. Appeals received without documentation will be denied. The documentation required is dependent upon the student's reason(s) for not meeting SAP and must be from an objective, "third party". Supporting documentation could include letters from doctors, court documents, letters from employers, death certificates, obituaries, funeral programs, documentation from the Disability Support Services, etc. Letters of support from friends or family members are unacceptable as they can be very subjective.

Students must meet with and create a degree plan with an academic advisor as part of the appeal process. All students that have an appeal approved are placed on probation and must comply with the requirements of their academic plan which includes maintaining a 100% term completion ratio (i.e. successfully completing all classes attempted) and a term GPA over 2.0 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduates. (to indicate progress towards the minimum standard, if their cumulative GPA has fallen below 2.0 or 3.0 respectively). Failure to meet the terms of this academic plan will result in financial aid suspension. Subsequent appeals are unlikely to be approved.

Additionally, appealing students and/or students on probation with an approved appeal are permitted to take only courses that are required for their primary degree program, and therfore are not to pursue dual majors, or electives that are not required.

Appeals can be submitted up to two weeks before the end of semester for which the student is appealing. Incomplete appeals may be denied.  

Return to Top




Scholarship Policy

Scholarships may affect the level of other financial aid you may receive. Please notify the Financial Aid Office once you are aware you will be receiving a Scholarship. Financial holds on your student account may cause scholarship checks and refund checks to be held up. Monitor your Financial Aid Status on UAOnline to see if your funds have come in.

Return to Top


Tuition Awards

When awarded tuition awards, the award may affect the level of other financial aid you may receive and may not be combined with other types of tuition-only awards (employee reimbursement, Chapter 33 GIBill payments, Seawolf Opportunity Scholarship, etc.). Please notify the  Office of Student Financial Assistance once you are aware you will be receiving a tuition award. Students with tuition awards must pay additional fees by the applicable payment deadline. The Office of Student Financial Assistance has a limited amount of need-based tuition awards available on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you are experiencing a financial hardship, you may submit a Tuition Award Request Form, if funds are currently available. The form is available on our Forms website. For more information on eligibility requirements, visit our Types of Aid website. You may also contact your academic department to see if tuition awards are availabe from them.

Return to Top


Unusual Enrollment History

Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) flags:  Beginning in 2013-14, some Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSAs) will be flagged for "unusual enrollment history" by the U. S. Department of Education as a result of the student having received federal Pell Grants at multiple institutions in recent years.  Flags "2" and "3" require that the current institution review the student's enrollment history and determine whether or not the student is enrolling only long enough to receive cash refunds of federal student aid. 

NOTE:  The University of Alaska Anchorage Office of Student Financial Assistance, during the process of reviewing a student's UEH flag, will check the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for complete enrollment history (i.e., name of each school attended during the 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13 academic years – the review period – and dates of attendance).

How to resolve: All students with UEH flag 3 and students with UEH flag 2 will be required to provide to University of Alaska Anchorage their academic transcripts or grade reports from all colleges and universities attended during the review period.  If Pell Grants were received and credit hours with passing grades (A - D) were not earned at each institution attended during these award years, the student may be determined ineligible for further federal financial aid.  The Office of Student Financial Assistance has the authority to require an official academic transcript from any/all colleges attended during the review period if the documents you submit are unclear.

  • If your Student Aid Report (SAR) includes UEH flag 2 or 3, please complete the Unusual Enrollment History Verification form and submit to the University of Alaska Anchorage Office of Student Financial Assistance, along with all required documentation. 

Appealing the ineligibility determination: If a student has been determined by University of Alaska Anchorage to be ineligible for federal student aid on the basis of (or lack of) documentation, he/she may appeal the determination by contacting the Office of Student Financial Assistance. 

Regaining federal student aid eligibility: Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of their UEH can be re-considered for federal student aid after meeting with an academic advisor, enrolling for one academic term only in courses that are required by their degree program, not dropping or withdrawing from (officially or unofficially) any courses after the term begins, and meeting the University's standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).  Please click the following link to review the complete SAP policy.

Annual, Aggregate, and Lifetime Limits, and Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements: 

  • Federal Pell Grants may be received for up to twelve (12) full-time semesters.  (Pell Grants received for part-time attendance are pro-rated against the 12 full-time semesters.)  

  • There are annual and aggregate borrowing limits on Federal Direct Loans, and these loans can be borrowed only up 150% of the published length of the student's academic program. 

  • All financial aid programs are subject to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements, which measure students' progress toward program completion.   Components of SAP are a minimum GPA, minimum completion rate, and maximum time frame.  For complete SAP details, please click the following SAP policy link.

To help students achieve academic success before exhausting federal financial aid limits, University of Alaska Anchorage encourages students to seek academic advising when planning their course schedules and throughout their college experience.  When facing academic difficulties, students are encouraged to seek tutoring and other support services.

Return to Top



Verification is a process to "confirm" the accuracy of the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student aid (FAFSA)

If your file is selected for verification, certain information must be provided before we can determine your financial aid eligibility. This may include household size and number in college, taxable and non-taxable income, asset information, or other data elements reported on the FAFSA. If your FAFSA is selected for verification, you will be required to submit a verification worksheet and your federal tax transcripts if you did not use the IRS data retrieval tool when completing the FAFSA. Depending on the verification group you are assigned, and other information reported on your FAFSA, additional documentation may be required. Students selected for verification will be notified via email and UAOnline as to what documentation is required. Financial aid awards cannot be generated or disbursed until verification is complete. Students that are not initially selected for verification may be selected after making changes to their FAFSA. If this happens, any financial aid previously awarded will be canceled until the verification process is complete. There is no guarantee that the equivalent types and amount of financial aid will be available when you are repackaged.

Deadline: The deadline to submit completed verification documents is 30 days from your last date of enrollment or the last business day in August, whichever comes first.

Follow the instructions on the Verification Worksheet very carefully. Failure to submit all required documents will cause processing delays. Not only will it delay all disbursements of federal aid but it will also prevent disbursement of several types of state and institutional aid. Lastly, make sure your student UAA ID number is on each page of all documents you submit to the Financial Assistance Office.


1. Collect your (and your spouse’s or parents’) financial documents as requested in UAOnline. Remember that as of the 12/13 academic year we cannot accept copies of tax forms. Students selected for verification must submit IRS tax transcripts or use the IRS data retrieval tool.


2. Complete the verification form for the appropriate year as listed on our forms page. Read the instructions carefully and complete all sections that apply to you. Make sure you collect all required signatures.

4. Fax, email, mail or drop off completed worksheet, tax transcripts (if needed), and any other documents to the UAA Financial Assistance Office


5. Your financial aid administrator will compare information on these documents and make corrections to your FAFSA as necessary.


6. Check your Financial Aid Status on UAonline and UAA email frequently. After reviewing your verification paperwork, we will occasionally have to ask for additional information in order to resolve conflicting information or other issues with your FAFSA. Will will notify you via email and update your UAOnline account accordingly. 


Important Information Regarding your IRA and/or Pension Rollover?

The data retrieval tool does not identify and exclude tax return IRA and/or Pension distributions that have been rolled over into another account.  It will take the IRA/Pension distribution minus the taxable portion of the distribution and enter the result as untaxed IRA and/or Pension on your FAFSA.  This may result in a higher Expected Family Contribution (EFC) than you should have.

What Should You Do If You Have a 2011 IRA or Pension Rollover?

·Do not attempt to correct the information yourself.  By changing any of the tax data, you compromise the data transferred from the IRS. 

·Provide a signed copy of your Federal IRS Tax Return to the Student Financial Assistance Office

Return to Top


Withdrawal Policy (Return of Title IV Funds Policy)

Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. If you are thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid and/or veteran's education benefits. Return of Title IV Funds Policy

Students who receive a financial aid disbursement and drop their classes prior to the add/drop deadline (i.e. census date) will have a hold placed on their account. This hold will prevent future financial aid disbursements. Future disbursements of financial aid will not occur until the student submits an academic progress report to the financial aid office verifying attendance (and/or active participation  in distance coursework) after the add/drop period.

Return to top