- Towels/wash cloths
- Personal toiletries (including toilet paper!)
- Bedding - sheets (twin long), blankets, pillow
- Laundry bag or basket plus detergent
- Iron & ironing board
- Alarm clock
- Landline phone (rooms have active phone lines, but phones are not provided)
- Cleaning supplies for your bathroom and room
- Photos, personal items, or wall decor to make you feel at home
- Winter clothes, hat, gloves, & boots
- An umbrella or raincoat (water-resistant footwear is also a good idea
- School or office supplies (also available at the Campus Bookstore)
- Other personal items such as a computer, bike, stereo, and camera
MAC and Templewood Residents will also need:
- Pots & pans
- Cooking utensils
- Dishes and silverware
You may want to communicate, in advance, with your roommates regarding sharing a microwave, coffee pot, TV, and mini-fridge.
Dorm Room Decor Ideas
Extra-long sheets or other "college-specific" items may be purchased online at www.rhl.org/uaa.
These sites are provided for your convenience, and are not affiliated with with University of Alaska Anchorage. However, if you are looking for school supplies of other great dorm decor, stop by the Campus Bookstore.
- Limited storage space prohibits the removal of existing furniture and minimizes space available for personal furniture.
- The residential community provides a gun safe for weapons storage. Personal possession of firearms is prohibited.
- Pets are not allowed in the residential community.
Prior to packing, please review your Housing & Dining Agreement, which provides detailed information regarding items that are prohibited in the Residence Halls and Apartments.
Internet Connection Information
All Residence Halls and Templewood Apartments have ethernet data connections, which provide much faster access to the Internet than modems. To utilize the internet capabilities in your room, here is what you need to do:
- Determine your basic computer setup. You must have a computer with one of the following capabilities: APC with ethernet card or available expansion card slot OR Macintosh computer with 10BaseT ethernet, AAUI port or available expansion card slot.
- If necessary, purchase an ethernet card and cable. To determine the type of 10BaseT ethernet card you should buy for your system, consult your computer system documentation. Ethernet cables can be purchased at the UAA Bookstore. Both the ethernet card and cable should have RJ45 twisted pair connectors.
- Install the card and its software.
- Select the applications you want to use and install them.
- Plug in your ethernet cable and surf the Internet.
Personal Property Insurance
Students are encouraged to obtain insurance coverage for personal property (similar to renter's insurance). The University is not responsible and does not provide insurance for the loss or theft of, or damage to personal property. This includes damage caused by failure or interruption of utilities.
National Student Services, Inc. is one company that provides students the opportunity to apply for coverage or renew or modify existing coverage. Many other insurance providers (for example, Progressive) may also cover your personal property under a renter's insurance policy.
If you will be living in a Residence Hall, check-in at your assigned hall. MAC residents check-in at Gorsuch Commons, and Templewood residents check-in at East Hall.
Important Note: You will need to present a driver's license, passport, or other photo identification when you check-in.
Need a laptop, iPad, software, or electronic accessories?
Stop by the Tech Zone—located on the upper-level of the UAA Campus Bookstore.