The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation strives to:
Provide professional preparation through degree, minor, and certification programs for leadership roles in fields related to health, physical education and recreation.
Afford opportunities for students and the UAA community to develop the knowledge, skills and abilities to promote lifelong participation, enjoyment and exploration of physical activities, health-enhancing behaviors and recreational pursuits.
Partner with the Alaska community to offer high quality service and specialized training related to health, physical education and recreation.
The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation places high value on:
- Academic and professional integrity;
- Student service;
- Responsible stewardship and sustainability of resources;
- Personal wellness;
- Collaboration and teamwork;
- Community service; and
- Lifelong learning.
The Department of Health, Physical Education & Recreation is dedicated to an integrated holistic model of wellness that is on the forefront of the industry. We look to a future where we:
- Promote life-long learners and leaders by modeling, providing unique opportunities and creating an environment that inspires passion, resilience and professionalism.
- Forge an effective model of education weaving art, science and movement into course delivery so that every student can learn and inspire others to do the same.
- Honor the diversity of the professions represented and embrace the influence of each.
- Collaborate with other institutions (internal community / external community / professional organizations) to influence incorporation of a wellness model, creating a hub of health.
- Provide state of the art facilities that reflect the excellence of our programs and accommodate our growing community.
- Attract talented and high quality students, faculty and staff.
Join us in achieving our future!