1950 The population of Anchorage is 30,060
 
Dr. Terris Moore, president of the University of Alaska (UA), and Regents Elmer Rasmuson and Earl Albrecht worked to expand the University from Fairbanks campus by bringing courses to military bases and developing community colleges in partnership with local school districts.
Elmer Rasmuson
  University of Alaska begins offering courses on Southcentral military bases.
1953 Territorial Community College Act establishes a framework for cooperation between school districts and the University of Alaska.
1954 The first community colleges are formed at Anchorage and Ketchikan.
  Anchorage Community College (ACC), a joint venture of the Anchorage Independent School District and the University of Alaska, opens the second floor of what is now West High School.  It offers primarily academic and business related courses. 385 students enrolled in the first semester.  LeVake Renshaw, local consulting engineer, was the first student to enroll, and went on to earn a degree from UAF.
  Dr. LeRoy Good named the first ACC Director.
1956
First UAA Graduate

 

 

First graduation from ACC.  One graduate, Vincent Earl Demarest, receives an Associate of Arts Degree in Business Administration

1957 Melvin Huden named ACC Director
1958 Palmer Community College founded
  Founding of the first student newspaper, the “Campus Courier”.
1959 Alaska enters the Union as the 49th state.
  Eugene Short named ACC chief executive officer.
1960 The population of Anchorage is 82,833
  William R. Wood named University of Alaska president.  He played a strong role in the expansion of UA into Anchorage.
1961 UA offers graduate courses in Anchorage leading to Masters in Education and Masters of Science in Engineering degrees - the first graduate programs in Southcentral Alaska.
  The Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER) opens as the first public policy research center in Alaska.
1962 Alaska legislature incorporates the state's community colleges into the University of Alaska higher education system
1964 Kenai Peninsula Community College founded
 
Palmer Community College renamed Matanuska-Susitna Community College
Matanuska-Susitna Community College 
  Good Friday earthquake rocks Southcentral Alaska
1966 The Anchorage Regional Center (ARC) is established to consolidate public higher education programs in the Anchorage area, including ACC and courses offered at local military bases.
  Dr. Donald DaFoe, formerly superintendent of schools in Anchorage, named first provost of the ARC.
1968 Kodiak Community College founded
  Anchorage Regional Center expands to become Southcentral Regional Center administering community colleges, military education, upper division and graduate programs for the entire region.  This institution foreshadowed the current structure of UAA. 
  Construction begins near Goose Lake on the outskirts of Anchorage for a permanent campus for ACC.
1969 Dr. Lewis Haines named provost of Southcentral Regional Center.
1969-71 Formation of Anchorage Higher Education Consortium between Alaska Methodist University (now Alaska Pacific University) and UA, allowing for ease of transfer credit and sharing of library resources.
1970 The population of Anchorage is 126,385
  ACC dedicates its present campus on Providence Ave. and moves from West High School into the five new buildings later named in honor of Eugene Short, Beatrice McDonald, Lucy Cuddy, Gordon Hartlieb and Sally Monserud.

University of Alaska, Anchorage is formed in November, composed of ACC and Anchorage Senior College
1971 The Anchorage Senior College is created from existing upper-division and graduate courses and programs.
  First joint (ACC and Senior College) commencement ceremony at West High School.  A total of 265 Masters, baccalaureate, and associates degrees and certificates are awarded.
1972 Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies is created to address the social, physical, and psychological concerns of alcoholism.
  ACC independently accredited as Anchorage Community College
  Construction begins on Consortium Library to be shared by Alaska Methodist University and the UA,A
1973 University enters into first collective bargaining agreement with Local 2404, Alaska Community College Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO

Building K (now professional Studies Building) and Building J (now the Auto/Diesel Technology Building) open on West Campus

 Consortium Library Consortium Library opens
1974 ACCFT faculty declare a (brief) strike for increased compensation

Senior College Building (now Social Sciences Building) opens
1975
University of Alaska, Anchorage receives accreditation from Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges

UA,A Performing Arts Center (now Wendy Williamson Auditorium) sees its first performance
1976
The Justice Center is created to provide research and instruction in justice and crime issues in Alaska.

Dr. William Stewart named ACC Campus President

Provost position at UA,A replaced with a chancellor - chief administrative officer and academic leader in charge of all university activities, research and academics.

Dr. Wendell Wolfe named Acting UA,A Chancellor
 
Dr. John Lindauer named first chancellor of UA,A
 Dr. John Lindauer
1977
Science Building opens

Formation of the Community Colleges and Rural Education Extension (CCREE), a statewide organization devoted to the community college mission.  ACC is separated from UA,A and included in CCREE as its largest unit.  UA,A is composed of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Justice Center, and the Schools of Education, Engineering, Nursing, Business, and Public Administration.
1978
First higher education classes offered in Eagle River

Wendell W. Wolfe, named acting UA,A Chancellor

First Great Alaska Shootout is held in the Buckner Fieldhouse on Fort Richardson

Dr. Frank Harrison named Chancellor at UA,A

Prince William Sound Community College established in Valdez.
  Campus Center complex (including the Student Union and Wells Fargo Sports Center) opens
1979
Dr. Edward Biggerstaff named ACC Campus President

North Slope oil money begins to flow into Alaska's treasury, allowing for expansion of higher education opportunities across the state.

Mining and Petroleum Training Services (MAPTS) is created in Kenai to meet the training needs of Alaskan resource development industries
1980
The population of Anchorage is 174,431
1981
The Engineering Building opens

ACC's Adult Education Center and Merrill Field Aviation Complex (now the Aviation Technology Center) open

Dr. David Outcalt named UA,A chancellor

Dr. Ronald Smith named Acting ACC Campus President
1982 ACC becomes a separate college with its own Chancellor, independent of Community Colleges and Rural Education Extension (CCREE)

Dr. Edward Biggerstaff named ACC Chancellor
1983 Allied Health Sciences Building opens

UA,A Administration Building open
1984 Dr. Herbert Lyon named ACC Chancellor
1986 First student apartments constructed on the campus open

UA,A Fine Arts Building opens

UA,A campus radio station KRUA begins broadcasting  

Dr. Clark Ahlberg named interim UA,A chancellor

UA president Dr. Donald O'Dowd announces plans for reorganization of the entire university system in response to a 15 per cent cut in statewide university funding. 
1987 Based on a state fiscal crisis, ACC, elements of CCREE, and UA,A are merged to become UAA - one of three separately accredited regional universities in the UA system.
Prince William Sound Community College becomes the only community college in the statewide system.

Dr. Marvin Looney named UAA Chancellor
1988 Institute for Circumpolar Health Studies created to develop new solutions to health problems in Alaska and circumpolar north.

Dr. Donald O'Dowd named University of Alaska president and interim Chancellor of UAA.
1989 Dr. Donald Behrend named UAA chancellor
1990 The population of Anchorage is 226,338

UAA awards 1080 certificates and associates, baccalaureate, and Masters degrees.
1992
UAA students staged a "sleep-in" to protest proposed cost increases (raising tuition to $58/credit hour) and loss of classes

University space crunch temporarily relieved with purchase of Diplomacy Building at Tudor Center

UAA awards 61 per cent of all degrees in the UA system

Business Education Building opens
1993
The first Edward Albee Last Frontier Theater Conference is held in Valdez.

The American-Russian Center is created to train businessmen and government leaders in the Russian Far East.
1994 UAA Minority Student Services becomes AHAINA (African American, Hispanic, Asian, International and Native American)

Edward Lee Gorsuch named UAA Chancellor
1995 The state-of-the-art expansion of the Aviation Technology Center opens at Merrill Field.
1998 Three four-story residence halls and the Commons opens

University Honors Program created 
1999 Global Logistics program opens, funded by a partnership with the Municipality of Anchorage, private industry, and UAA.
2000 The population of Anchorage is 260,283
2002 Enrollment & Financial Services and units of the Community and Technical College occupy a newly remodeled University Center space, revitalizing a dying mall in the heart of Anchorage.
2003 Expansion of the School of Nursing, funded by a partnership with the largest health care providers in Alaska, will double the number of Nursing graduates.
2004 Dedication of the Library of the 21st Century, a major addition and transformation of the Consortium Library.

Environmental and Biomedical Laboratory Building opens

Dr. Elaine Maimon named UAA Chancellor

UAA celebrates its 50th Anniversary.