University of Alaska Anchorage is a member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium and the SOC Degree Network System.
The SOC Consortium consists of colleges and universities committed to expanding and improving voluntary postsecondary educational opportunities for service members worldwide. SOC Consortium members subscribe to principles and criteria to ensure that quality academic programs are available to active-duty military students, their family members, and veterans.
UAA is a member of the SOC Degree Network System, a subgroup of SOC Consortium member institutions selected by the military Services to deliver specific associate and bachelor’s degree programs to service members and their families. As a member of the DNS, we have agreed to adhere to following academic policies intended to support military students in their academic endeavors towards degree completion.
- Limit institutional residency requirements for graduation to 25 percent or less of the total degree requirements, or in the case of degrees that are offered 100 percent online, 30 percent.
- Permit military students to complete institutional residency at any time and avoid any “final year” or “final semester” residency requirement.
- Award credit appropriate to the degree for Service training school courses and military occupational experience based on recommendations in the American Council on Education Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services (ACE Guide).
- Award credit appropriate to the degree from at least one nationally-recognized standardized testing program, such as College Level Examination Program (CLEP), DSSTs, or Excelsior College Examination program (ECE), based on credit recommendations in the ACE Guide.
- Issue a Student Agreement for each eligible military student by the time he/she has completed 6 semester hours of credit with the home college, and honor the Student Agreement for the length of time established by the home college as indicated on its College Information Page in the SOC DNS Handbooks.
- Permit the student to complete his or her selected degree program under the terms of the Student Agreement even after separation from active military service or if the institution no longer participates in the SOC Degree Network System.
For more information regarding SOC, go to www.soc.aascu.org
For more information regarding GoArmyEd, go to www.goarmyed.com/login.aspx
For specific information for military and veteran students at UAA,
please go to the UAA Military & Veteran Community Resource website