Dr. Helena Wisniewski, Vice Provost for Research, created the following technology commercialization and venture fund structure to commercialize technology based on faculty and student research at UAA. The UA Board of Regents approved the fund structure in July 2012. Dr. Wisniewski was elected President of Seawolf Holdings in August 2012 and the Board of Directors of Seawolf Holdings, LLC was approved by the Regents in September 2012.
The purpose of Seawolf Holdings is to:
- Provide a corporate interface between UAA and its enterprise companies
- To protect the university and limit its liabilities
- Holding and commercializing Intellectual Property
- Manage companies and enterprises
The functions of Seawolf Holdings include:
- Overseeing the subsidaries
- Determinine which University Intellectual Property is commercializable and advise the fund
- License Intellectual Property to the IP/Sub LLC
- Review and approve all investment and divestment decisions until a 3- to 5-person investment committee is formed
The purpose of the Seawolf Venture Fund is to:
- Provide early-stage investment in select startup companies as a for-profit private equity fund
- Enhance the reputation of Anchorage as a center for technology advancement and innovation
Seawolf Holdings, LLC
Board of Directors
Dr. Helena S. Wisniewski, Ph.D.
President, Seawolf Holdings, LLC;
Vice Provost for Research and Dean of the Graduate School at UAA
- Executive/leadership experience - government, industry and academia.
- Technological entrepeneur - started 10 companies, sold three.
|Mr. Thomas Hook
President, CEO and Board Director of Greatbatch, Inc.
- Greatbatch, Inc. is a publicly traded company on the NYSE (NYSE:GB).
- Implantable medical devices for neuromodulation, cardiac rhythm management, orthopedics, and customized battery power and wireless sensing systems.
|Mr. Stephen Socolof
Managing Partner, New Venture Partners
- New Venture Partners is a global venture capital firm dedicated to corporate technology spin-outs.
- Over $700 million under management.
|Mr. John Wanamaker
Alaska Venture Partners
- Alaska Venture Partners is an active angel investment practice investing in companies both in and out of Alaska.
|Dr. John Sibert|
Founding Chairman, National Association of Seed & Venture Funds
- Current city council member in Malibu, California.
- Previously founding executive director, Alaska Science & Technology Foundation.
|Dr. Elisha "Bear" Baker|
Provost and Vice Chancellor at UAA
- Former dean of the College of Business & Public Policy at UAA.