Attention: Beware of Scholarship Phishing Attempts
You may be solicited via mail, email, or phone by entities claiming to be scholarship service companies. Be careful of these contact attempts, because they may not be legitimate donors. Often, these entities are attempting to gain access to personal information, such as social security numbers or are trying to collect money from you in order for you to be considered an eligible scholarship applicant.
A good rule of thumb is always "Safety First!"
You should never give out your personal information without verifying the security of the data.
You should also never pay an entity offering financial aid (including scholarships) even if funding is "promised".
All applications from reputable entities will be free. You are welcome to forward scholarship advertisements and
information via email to:
for review. The OSFA staff will do our best to evaluate the
information and provide you with feedback.
Private Scholarships, UAA Specific
- American Legion 40/8: Is offering awards for full time nursing students who demonstrate financial need. Contact American Legion : 907-242-1530 for deadline information.
- The Alaska Community Foundation: Offers scholarships that are made possible by passionate community members committed to helping Alaskans pursue their education dreams. Each Scholarship has specific criteria, deadlines and requirements. Deadlines to apply vary.
- PEO Chapter K Scholarship: Available to females attending UAA with a minimum 3.0 GPA and a minimum class standing of Sophomore. Award amount is $1,000 ($500 a semester). Deadlines to apply are June 15th for the fall term and October 15th for the spring term.
- Alaska Native Epidemiology Center: (EpiCenter), a department of the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium (ANTHC), is pleased to announce that it will be awarding scholarships for the University of Alaska Anchorage Master's of Public Health (MPH) Program. The scholarship will include the tuition, fees, and course materials for one course offered through the distance-learning MPH Program. For a list of available courses and information about UAA's MPH Program, visit: http://health.uaa.alaska.edu/mph.
- Kodiak Electric Association – Is offering thirteen (13) scholarships to students.
All applicants must be receiving service or have an immediate family member
receiving service from Kodiak Electric Association. Deadline to apply is February 21, 2014.
Local Private Scholarships, Non-UAA Specific
- The American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of Alaska : Is pleased to announce their 2014 Scholarship Program. The ACEC will award up to $1,000 in a statewide scholarship competition. Deadline to apply is March 14, 2014.
- The Alaska Community Foundation Is proud to support Alaska students in their
educational and career pursuits, through a number of scholarship opportunities. From students pursuing technology education, to nursing
students. A wide range of students can benefit from ACF's
scholarships. Deadlines to apply vary.
- The ACLU Alaska foundation is offering: The Joan Hamilton Memorial Scholarship: A $2500 award to a post secondary school; Alaska students who wish to pursue a career related to law: in which s/he will advocate for Alaska Native rights and defend the civil liberties of the peoples of rural Alaska. Deadline to apply is March 28, 2014.
- 2014 ANTHC Scholarship Is proud to support, Alaska students, interested in working in the healthcare field. 2014/2015 application period to be announced.
- Alaska Association of Environmental Professionals Scholarship: Provides scholarships for full-time undergraduate or graduate students, currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program in the environmental (or natural) sciences, environmental technology, or environmental policy. There is one $1,000 award per year. 2014/2015 application period to be announced.
- Alaska Space Grant Program: Is offering scholarships and fellowships to students (U.S. Citizens), majoring in science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics (STEM) fields. Application requirements and award amounts vary between scholarships and fellowships. Deadlines to apply vary.
- Alaska Power Association - Hank Nikkels Scholarship for Engineers: APA is offering $1,000 scholarship opportunities and textbook stipends of up to $500 for Alaska residents attending college in Alaska who are studying engineering. Deadline to apply is May 9, 2014.
- The Edward and Anna Range Schmidt Charitable Trust: Offers grants and emergency financial assistance for Alaska Native students of Earth and Environmental Science (internship support, travel and/or expenses related to workshops and science fairs, support needed to secure employment in science-related fields or emergency needs). They accept applications anytime and must be made by letter from a sponsor. Write to: PO Box 770982, Eagle River, AK 99577 or call Nora Shew or Frederic Wilson at 1.907.786.7445/7448
Mat-Su Health Foundation Scholarship
: Open to students who have a primary residence in Mat-Su and have a major or course of study linked to healthcare. 2014/2015 application period to be announced.
National Private Scholarships
- AfterCollege currently offers over a dozen major-specific and inclusive scholarships that students may be eligible for. Deadlines to apply vary.
American Welding Society
: Scholarships available to students preparing for a career in the welding and related joining technologies. Deadline to apply is March 1st of each year.
- Big John's Plumbing: Is pleased to offer a $1,000 Business Scholarship to a student planning to take business related courses. Deadline to apply is July 25th of each year.
Disability Awareness Scholarship:
Is offering $1,000 to a student attending an accredited university full time with a G.P.A. of 3.0. Deadline to apply is January 10th 2014.
- The Drive to Learn Scholarship : Is pleased to announce that they will be offering an annual $1,000 award to full-time students. Deadline to apply is May 1, 2014.
: Scholarship for students other than graduate, law, or incoming freshman. Awards range from $5,000-$1,000. Deadline is December 1st of each year.
Institute for Humane Studies
: Fellowships/scholarships awarded to students with liberty-advancing research interests. Students may be undergraduate/graduate. Deadlines to apply vary.
- The James Madison Fellowship: A federal program, offers teachers of Government and History up to $24,000 to complete a Master's degree in fields related to the U.S. Constitution. The program has awarded over 1200 fellowships since its inception in 1992. Deadline to apply is March 1, 2014.
: Scholarships are awarded annually to at least 40 young College graduate U.S. citizens. Successful candidates are able to study a wide range of subjects for a higher degree at any of Britain's universities. The 2015 Application will be available late spring 2014.
Is awarding $4000 to two students who excel in art based majors. Deadlines to apply vary.
NAWIC FOUNDERS' SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION
: Applicant must be currently enrolled in a /construction-related degree program, and have at least one term remaining in a course of study leading to a degree or an associate degree in a construction-related field. High school seniors are not eligible. Deadline to apply is February 28, of each year.
- NursesLink.org: Is offering three different scholarship awards twice every year! Application deadlines are October 31st for the Fall and April 30th for the Spring.
- The Reeves Law Group: Is pleased to announce their first annual scholarships contest. One student will be awarded $1,000 to be invested in his or her educational costs. Deadline to apply is July 1, 2014.
The Pediatric Dentist of Tomorrow Scholarship will award $500 every year to a student striving to achieve their dream of entering the dental field. Applications accepted March 15, 2013 through March 15, 2014.
Social Media Scholarships
- Giving back - Marketing scholarship is pleased to offer two $500 scholarship opportunities. Applications require a written essay related to social media. The winner will be based on which essay blog receives the most likes and shares via social media.
Submission Deadline is March 1, 2014.