Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science
You MUST complete the AAS in Dental Hygiene before applying for this degree.
Description and Outcomes
The BSDH is designed to offer graduates of the UAA A.A.S, Dental Hygiene program the opportunity to increase their education to the baccalaureate level. The program offers students a broader background in community oral health as well as training in an advanced area of dental hygiene practice. At the completion of the program, students are able to:
1. Critically evaluate research relevant to dental hygiene.
2. Assess, plan, implement and evaluate complex community oral health projects to diverse populations.
3. Perform advanced dental hygiene skills beyond the associate degree level, e.g. restorative functions and/or clinical instruction.
1. Complete an A.A.S., Dental Hygiene degree.
2. Apply to UAA as a Bachelor of Science, Dental Hygiene.
3. Complete an advising session with a dental hygiene advisor regarding application, program admission and development of a program of study. (See contact information below)
4. Complete laboratory classes for chemistry (CHEM A103L or CHEM A105L, and CHEM A104L) with a minimum grade of C.
5. Complete BIOL A240 with a minimum grade of C.
6. Complete the University Admission Requirements for Baccalaureate Programs in Chapter 7 of the UAA Catalog.
7. Submit a departmental application for admission to the Bachelor of Science, Dental Hygiene degree program.
8. Complete a Change of Major form, signed by a Dental Hygiene faculty advisor.
1. Complete the General University Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
2. Complete the General Education Requirements for Baccalaureate Degrees.
3. Complete the Major Requirements listed below.
**Required support courses may satisfy some General Education Requirements.
Required Support Courses
Complete the following courses with a minimum grade of C:
*BIOL A240 Intro Microbiology for Health Sciences
*CHEM A103L Survey of Chemistry Lab
*CHEM A105L General Chemistry I Lab
*CHEM A104L Intro to Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry Lab
*ENGL A212 Technical Writing
*STAT A252 Elementary Statistics
*STAT A253 Applied Statistics for the Sciences
1. Complete the requirements for an AAS in Dental Hygiene degree.
2. Complete a minimum of 10 credits (with a minimum grade of C) from the following courses:
NOTE: DH A350, DH A450, and DH A495C must all be completed to take clinical boards and to fulfill the requirements for restorative certification (State of Alaska Statute 12 ACC 28.322).
*DH A350 Basic Restorative Techniques
*DH A450 Advanced Restorative Techniques
*DH A495C Restorative Clinical Practicum
*CTE A411 Historical and Philosophical Foundations of Career and Technical Education
*CTE A490 Selected Topics in Career and Technical Education
*DH A460 Instructional Concepts in Dental Hygiene
*DH A495B Instructional Practicum in Dental Hygiene
*Other courses approved by a dental hygiene advisor
3. Complete with a minimum grade of C:
*DH A424 Community Dental Health II
(GER integrative capstone course)
4. Complete 9 elective credits.
5. A total of 120 credits is required for the degree. NOTE: No more than six credits of DH A390 Selected Topics in Dental Hygiene may be applied toward this degree.
** A.A.S. degree-seeking students may take BSDH courses, provided prerequisite requirements are fulfilled.
University of AK Anchorage Dental Hygiene Program
3211 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508
Bachelor of Science