2013 Award Winners
- Dr. Colin McGill, Chemistry
and Co-PI Dr. Eric Murphy,
Psychology, "Malate Supplementation: A Dietary Intervention to Improve Spatial
Memory in Aged Rats."
- Dr. Aaron Dotson, Civil
Engineering and Co-PI Dr. LeeAnn Munk,
Geology, "Source Identification and Complexation of Copper in an Urban
- Dr. Jeffrey Callahan,
Construction Management, Justin McVaney,
Construction & Design Technology, and Co-PI Dr. Kenrick Mock, Computer Science and Engineering, "Augmented Reality,
BIM and GIS for Mobile Platforms in Architecture, Engineering and Construction."
- Dr. Khrystyne Duddleston, Biological
Sciences and Co-PI Dr. Paddy Sullivan,
Environmental and Natural Resources Institute, "Importance of the Microbial
Community as a Driver of Tree Performance and Treeline Position in Northwest
- Dr. Mark McCoy, Chemistry, "Development of
a Point of Care Assay for Vitamin D."
- Dr. Jonathan Alevy, Economics,
and Co-PI Dr. Michael Young,
Psychology, Illinois Institute of Technology, "Seasonality and Economic Behavior."
- Dr. Jill Flanders Crosby, Theatre
and Dance, and Co-PI Brian Jeffery,
Theatre and Dance, "Secrets Under the Skin Art Installation."
- Dr. John Lund, Electrical Engineering, "Wireless
Sensor Nodes with Advanced Signal Analysis Capabilities for Expanded Sensor
- Dr. Scott Hamel, Civil
Engineering, "Design and Evaluation of Thin-shell Latex-modified Concrete
Barrel Roof Units."
- Dr. Kenrick Mock, Computer
Science and Engineering and Co-PIs Dr. Bogdan
Hoanca, Computer Information Systems, Dr.
Stephanie Bauer and Dr. Raymond Anthony, Philosophy, and Dr. Yasuhiro Ozuru, Psychology,
"Revealing Human Moral Decision Making Through Eye Tracking."
- Dr. Joey Yang, Civil Engineering "Carbon
Fiber Tape-Based Anti-Icing Technology for Wind Turbine Blades."
- Dr. Andrew Puckett, Physics
and Astronomy, and Co-PI Dr. Travis
Rector, Physics and Astronomy, "Seed Funding for the Production of the
Definitive Aurora Borealis Planetarium Show."
- Dr. Jonathan Stecyk, Biological
Sciences, "The Turtle Heart: A non-traditional model to understand and
potentially treat human cardiovascular disease."
- Dr. Jennifer Stone, English,
"Language, Literature, and Technology in Alaska."
- Dr. Patrick Tomco, Chemistry
and Co-PIs Dr. Mark McCoy, Chemistry,
and Steven Seefeldt, UAF Cooperative Extension Service, "Characterization of
Aminopryralid Degradation in Alaska Soils."
- Dr. Liliya Vugmeyster, Chemistry,
and Co-PI Dr. Dmitry Ostrovsky,
Mathematical Sciences, "Computational Modeling of Protein Flexibility via
Bridging Polymer and Protein Sciences."
2012 Award Winners
- Dr. Jason Burkhead (Biology) for "Development of a Copper-deficient Mouse Model of Non-alcoholic FattyLiver Disease.
- Dr. Don Spalinger (Biology) and Co-PIs Dr. John Lund and Dr. Herb Schroeder, for "The Trophic Dynamics of Nutrient Cycling in Western Alaska Tundra Ecosystems."
- Dr. Khrys Duddleston and Co-PIs Dr. Fred Rainey and Dr. Loren Buck, for "Host-Gut-Microbiome Interactions in the Arctic Ground Squirrel: Investigations in an Extreme Hibernator."
- Dr. Cindy Knall (WWAMI Medical School of Education)for "Assessing NFkB Targets in Oral Epithelial Cells Exposed to Iqmik."
- Dr. John Lund (Electrical Engineering) and Co-PI Dr. Todd Peterson, for "Ultra-Long Lifespan Wireless Sensor Devices for Asset Management."
- Dr. Anthony Paris (Mechanical Engineering) and Co-PIs Dr. Jennifer Brock and Dr. John Lund, for "Evaluation of Instrumentation to Assess Accelerations of the Head Due to Soccer Ball Heading."
- Dr. Scott Hamel (Civil Engineering) for "Performance of Wood-Plastic Composites in Cold Regions."
- Dr. Frank Moore (Computer Science/Mathematics) for "Improving the Science Value of CCSDS Lossy Compressed Images via Evolutionary Computation."″
- Dr. John Kennish (Chemistry) and Co-PI Dr. Patty Zwolla, for "Development of an Integrated Cellular-Chemical Approach for Quantifying Effects of Marine Phthalates on the Function of Trout Immune Cells."
- Dr. Colin McGill (Chemistry) for "Inhibition of TNFa-mediated nsMase Activation by Citrate and Malate in a Human Neuroblastoma Model."
- Dr. Karen Ward (Center for Human Development) for "Teen Friendships & Dating Program."
- Dr. Vivian Gonzalez (Psychology/Center for Behavioral Research and Services) and Co-PI Dr. Monica Skewes, for "Social Validity of Alcohol Treatments for Alaska Native College Students."
- Don Rearden (College Preparatory and Developmental Studies) for "Heart of a Whale."