Office: ENGR 305
Phone: (907) 786-1038
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2009
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2008
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Lehigh University, 2006
- ME A414: Thermal Systems Design (HVAC)
- ENGR A251: Engineering Practices III
- ME A664: Corrosion Processes and Engineering
- ME A453/A653: Renewable Energy Systems Engineering
- ES A208: Engineering Mechanics
- ENGR A161: Engineering Practices II
Professional and Departmental Service
- 2012-2013, Faculty advisor to SAE Baja team
- 2011-2013, Faculty advisor to National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NSCE) student chapter
- 2011-2013, Member, National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) scholarship committee
- 2010-2013, FIRST Robotics Volunteer: Mentor, Head Referee, Judge Advisor, Event Coordinator
- 2009-2010, Faculty advisor to American Society of Heating Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning (ASHRAE) student Chapter
- 2013, UAA School of Engineering professional development seminar series: "Failure analysis and corrosion engineering." (April 23rd)
- 2013, National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) UAA student chapter: "Lake Otis Drive water main failure investigation." (April 12th)
- 2013 Alaska Society of Professional Engineers, Anchorage chapter: "Research at the UAA BP Asset Integrity and Corrosion Laboratory." (April 11th)
- 2012, NACE International Alaska Chapter: "BP AIC Lab: corrosion engineering at UAA." (November 13th)
- 2011, International Wind Diesel Workshop: "Evaluation and mitigation of wind turbine icing." (March 9th)
Corrosion, failure analysis, fatigue, materials testing, compliant mechanisms
- 2013, PI, "Lake Otis Drive water main failure analysis," Anchorage Wastewater and Water Utility
- 2013, PI, "Corrosion under insulation (CUI) microanalysis," BP Alaska
- 2013, PI, "Bethel water treatment facility monoethylene glycol heating line corrosion failure"
- 2013, PI, "Case iron sanitary line corrosion failure," UAA Facilities, Planning, and Construction
- 2012, PI, "Investigation of corrosion rates and mechanisms of steel in monoethylene glycol solutions," BP Alaska
- 2011-2013, Co-investigator, "Experimental measurement of flexure compliance values," independent
- 2010-2013, Task PI, "Cold climate turbine operation," U.S. Department of Energy
- M Cullin, T Petersen, N Lobontiu, T Kirk. "Experimental determination of planar compliance values of flexures." Measurement, Submitted for review. (2013)
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin, T Petersen, J Alcazar, S Noveanu. "Planar compliances of symmetric notch flexure hinges: the right circularly corner-filleted parabolic design." IEEE Trans. Automation Sci. Eng. Accepted, publishing pending. (2013)doi:10.1109/TASE.2012.2228853
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin, M Ali, J Hoffman. "Planar compliances of thin circular-axis flexure hinges with midpoint radial symmetry." Mech. Based Des. Struct. Mach. 41.2(2013): 202-221.
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin. "In-plane elastic response of two-segment circular-axis symmetric notch flexure hinges: The right circular design." Precision Engineering 37.3(2013): 542-555.
- M J Cullin, DG Harlow, R P Wei. "Modeling and simulation of constituent particle clustering and distribution in rolled aluminum alloys." Mod. and Sim. in Materials Sci. and Eng. 19.3 (2011)
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin, M Ali, J Brock. "A generalized analytical compliance model for transversely symmetric three-segment flexure hinges." Review of Sci. Inst. 82.10 (2011)
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin, E Garcia, J McFerran, M Ali. "Compliances of symmetric flexure hinges for planar compliant mechanisms." 2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (2012)
- N Lobontiu, M Cullin, J Hoffman, M. Ali, "Circular-Axis Flexure Hinges", International IMT Oradea Conference Paper (2013).
- A Paris, A Bergeron., M Cullin, A Munk, "Fatigue behavior of stainless steel, titanium, and cobalt chromium molybdenum spinal rods", ASME Conference Paper(2010).
- M Cullin,"11/9/12 Cast Iron Pipe Failure Analysis Report", Submitted to and reviewed/accepted by Anchorage Water and Wastewater Utility (2013).