Zhaohui (Joey) Yang
Office: ENGR 202
Dr. Yang joined UAA as Assistant Professor in May 2003. He is currently Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, Associate Director of Alaska University Transportation Center, and Director for Geotechnical and Frozen Ground Engineering Research Laboratory. Dr. Yang's expertise is in geotechnical and earthquake engineering, and he has maintained an active research program with particular interests on cold regions-related issues since he joined UAA in 2003. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers, including 20 journal articles. Dr. Yang has received research funding in geotechnical/earthquake engineering and cold regions-related research from NSF EPSCoR, U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Dept. of Interior, U.S. Department of Transportation via Alaska University Transportation Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy through Alaska Energy Authority, State of Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities, and Municipality of Anchorage.
B.S., Dept. of Hydraulic Engineering, Chengdu University of Science and Technology
Ph.D.,Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the University of California Davis
July 2008 - Present:
Associate Professor, University of Alaska, Anchorage
May 2003 - June 2008: Assistant Professor, University of Alaska, Anchorage
Sept. 2002 - May 2003: Research Associate, University of California, Davis
June 1999 - Sept. 2002: Research Assistant, University of California, Davis
Aug. 1998 - June 1999: Teaching Assistant, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.
June 1995 - July 1998: Lecturer, Sichuan Union University, Chengdu, China
Sept. 1991 - June 1995: Research Associate, Structural Engineering Research Institute, Sichuan Union University, Chengdu, China
CE A435 Soil Mechanics and Laboratory
CE A414/CE A614 Soil Strength and Slope Stability
CE A611 Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering
CE A612 Advanced Foundation Engineering
Professional and Departmental Service
- Municipality of Anchorage Geotechnical Advisory Commission: Commissioner
- Associate Director representing UAA: Alaska University Transportation Center
- School of Engineering Curriculum Committee
- Member: BSCE Program Assessment Committee
- Member, UAA Graduate Academic Board
- Co-Chair: International Symposium on Mechanical Properties of Frozen Soils, Jan. 2013, Jacksonville, FL.
- Committee member: ASCE Technical Council on Cold Regions Engineering (TCCRE) Frozen Ground Committee, and Transportation and Infrastructure Committee
- Member: ASCE, ASTM, USPA, NEES
- Peer reviewer for professional journals and conferences
Dr. Yang's research interests are in geotechnical and earthquake engineering with particular focus on cold-regions related issues. His recent funded research projects are in the following areas:
- Impact of frozen soils on the seismic site responses
- Liquefiable soil-pile interaction during seismic events in cold regions
- De-icing and Anti-icing of road pavement
Current active research projects can be found at:
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Yang, Z., Li, Q., and Marx, E.(2011). Seasonally Frozen Soil Effects on the Dynamic Behavior of Highway Bridges. Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions, Submitted Aug. 2011.
- Li, Q., Yang, Z., Horazdovsky, J., Hulsey, J.L., and Marx, E.(2011). Performance and Design of Laterally Loaded Piles in Frozen Ground: a Fixity Depth Approach. Transportation Research Records: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Submitted July 2011.
- Yang, Ting, Yang, Zhaohui, Singla, Mithun and Song, Gangbing (2011). Experimental Study on Carbon Fiber Tape-Based Deicing Technology. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. Accepted for publication.
- Zhou, X., Yang, Z., C. Chang and G. Song (2011). Numerical Assessment of Electric Pavement Deicing System Utilizing Emerging Carbon Nano-fiber Paper. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. In press.
- Yang, Zhaohui, U. Dutta, G. Xu, K. Hazirbaba and Marx, E. (2011). Numerical Analysis of permafrost effects on the Seismic Site Response. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. 31(3):282-290.
- Xu, Gang, Yang, Zhaohui, Dutta, U. and Marx, E. (2011). Seasonally Frozen Soils Effects on the Seismic Site Response. J. of Cold Regions Engineering. 25(2):53-70.
- Zhou, Jia-Wen, Xu, Wei-Ya, Yang, Xing-Guo, Shi, Chong and Yang, Zhaohui (2010). The 28 October 1996 Landslide and Analysis of the Stability of the Current Huashiban Slope at the Liangjiaren Hydropower Station, Southwest China. Engineering Geology. 114(1-2):45-56.
- Yang, Xingguo, Yang, Zhaohui, Shuyou Cao, Xingji Gao and Shujian Li (2009). Key Techniques for Emergency Disposal of Quake Lakes. Natural Hazards. 52:43-56.
- Dutta, D., Sen, MK, Biswas N. and Yang, Z. (2009) Investigation of Shallow Sedimentary Structure of the Anchorage Basin, Alaska, Using Simulated Annealing of Site Response. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. V. 99, No. 1, 326-339.
- Xiong, F. and Yang, Zhaohui. Effects of Seasonally Frozen Soil on the Seismic Behavior of a Bridge Bent-Foundation-Soil System (2008). Cold Regions Science and Technology. V. 54, 44-53.
- Yang, Zhaohui, Utpal Dutta, F. Xiong, Niren Biswas and Harley Benz (2008). Seasonal Frost Effects on the Seismic Behavior of a Twenty-Story Office Building. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 51(1), 76-84.
- Yang, Zhaohui, U. Dutta, D. Zhu and N. Biswas (2007). Seasonal Frost Effects on the Soil-Foundation-Structure Interaction System. Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. 21(4):108-120.
- Liu, He, Zhaohui Yang and Michael S. Gaulke (2005). Structural Identification and Finite Element Modeling of a 14-Story Office Building using Recorder Data. Engineering Structures, 27(3):463-473.
- Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi?c (2005). Study of Soil Layering Effects on Lateral Loading Behavior of Piles. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 131(6):762-770.
- Jeremi?c, Boris, Zhaohui Yang and Stein Sture (2004). Influence of the influence of End Conditions on Constitutive Behavior of Geomaterials. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 130(6), pp 741-745.
- Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi?c (2003). Numerical Study of Group Effects for Pile Groups in Sands. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 27(15):1255-1276.
- Yang, Zhaohui and Boris Jeremi?c (2002). Numerical Analysis of Pile Behavior under Lateral Loads in Layered Elasto-Plastic Soils. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in , 26(14), pp 1385-1406.
- Jeremi?c, Boris, Gerik Scheuermann, Jan Frey, Zhaohui Yang, Bernd Hamman, Kenneth I. Joy and Hans Haggen (2002). Tensor Visualizations in Computational Geomechanics. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics incorporating Mechanics of Cohesive-Frictional Materials, 26(10), pp 925-944.
- Jeremi?c, Boris and Zhaohui Yang (2002). Template Elasto-Plastic Computations in Geomechanics. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, July 2002, 26(14), pp 1407-1427.
- Yang, Zhaohui and Haowu Liu (1998). Embedded fiber-optic F-P strain sensor and it application to concrete structures. Journal of Experimental Mechanics. In Chinese. 13(1), pp.41-46.
- Yang, Zhaohui , Haowu Liu and Jinchi Lu (1997). Neural Network Method for concrete strength prediction and design. Journal of Hydroelectric Engineering. In Chinese. Vol.43, No. 1, pp. 33-40.
Recent Refereed Conference Articles
- Yang, Z., Li, Q., Horazdovsky, J., Hulsey, J.L., and Marx, E.(2011). Analysis of Laterally Loaded Piles in Frozen Soils. State of the Art and Practice in Geotechnical Engineering (GeoCongress2012), Oakland, California USA, March 25-29, 2012.
- Li, Q., Zhang, X., and Yang, Z.(2011). Analysis of Laterally Loaded Piles in Liquefiable Soils with a Frozen Crust. State of the Art and Practice in Geotechnical Engineering (GeoCongress2012), Oakland, California USA, March 25-29, 2012.
- Li, Q., Tang, L., Z. Yang, and Ling, X. (2011). Numerical Assessment of Pile Foundation Performance in Liquefiable Soils with a Frozen Crust. 5th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering (5ICEGE),Jan. 10-13, Santiago, Chile.
- G. Xu, U. Dutta, Z. Yang, and K. Hazirbaba (2010). Frozen soil effects on the observed ground motion characteristics. Proc. 9th US National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering: Reaching Beyond Borders, Jul. 25-29, Toronto, Canada. Paper No. 1170. Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI).
- Zhou, X., Z. Yang, C. Chang and G. Song (2010). Numerical assessment of an electric deicing system utilizing emerging carbon nano-fiber paper. Proc. Inter. Symposium on Life-Cycle Performance of Bridges and Structures, Jun. 27-29, Changsha, China. Science Press, ISBN 978-7-03-027815-9. Pp.1080-1087.
- Li, Q. , Tang, L. , Yang, Z. and Ling, X. (2010). Numerical simulation of pile foundations in liquefiable soils with a frozen crust. Proc. Inter. Symposium on Life-Cycle Performance of Bridges and Structures, Jun. 27-29, Changsha, China. Science Press, ISBN 978-7-03-027815-9. Pp. 1072-1079.
- Yang, Z. , Li, Q. , Xu, G. and Hulsey, J.L. (2010). Seasonal freezing effects on the dynamic behavior of highway bridges. Proc. GeoShanghai 2010: Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering (GSP No. 201), Eds. M. Huang, X. Yu and Y. Huang. Jun. 3-5, Shanghai, China. Pp. 162-168.
- Yang, X. , Zhou, H. , Li, H. , Yang, Z. , Qiao, L. and Lin, Y. (2010). Safety assessment of Quake Lakes. Proc. GeoFlorida 2010: Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design (GSP 199), Feb. 20-24, West Palm Beach, FL. Pp. 2002-2011.
- Yang, Zhaohui, X. Gang, R. Binonwagan and J.L. Hulsey (2009). Seasonal freezing effects on the dynamic behavior of highway bridges. Proc. 3rd International Geotechnical Symposium for Disaster Prevention and Reduction (IGS2009), Harbin, China, July 22-25.
- Yang, Zhaohui, X. Gang, X. Feng, and J.L. Hulsey (2008). Seasonally frozen soil effects on the lateral behavior of steel pipe piles. Proc. 14th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering (14WCEE), Beijing, China, Oct. 12-17.
- Utpal Dutta, Zhaohui Yang, G. Xu and Kenan Hazirbaba (2008). Investigating the effects of seasonally frozen soil and permafrost on site response. Proc. 14th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering (14WCEE), Beijing, China, Oct. 12-17.
- Miranda, R., Z. Yang and U. Dutta (2008). Seasonally frozen ground effects on the dynamic response of high-rise buildings. Proc. Ninth International Conference on Permafrost (NICOP), Fairbanks, AK, USA, Jun. 29 – July 3, 2008.
- Xiong, F., Z. Yang and F. Bai (2008). Seasonally frozen soil effects on the nonlinear behavior of a parking garage. Proc. 4th Decennial Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics Conference (GEESD IV), Geotechnical Special Publication No. 181. Eds. David Zeng, M.T. Manzari and D.R. Hiltunen. Sacramento, CA, May 18-22, 2008.