Human services practice requires multicultural understanding and respect of clients through a collaborative relationship founded upon a developmental model. Specific skill courses are combined with practicum and strengthened through conceptual coursework in human services. Practicum placements provide students agency-based learning experiences directly related to the human services profession. Entrance into the human services practicum requires admission to the degree, successful completion of specified courses and recommendation by the human services faculty academic advisor.
Practicum I & II are required for the AAS in Human Services.
Practicum III is required for the BHS in Human Services.
STEP BY STEP PRACTICUM APPLICATION PROCESS
The practicum application requires students to complete several steps before the process is finished. For the complete practicum application process click HERE
Step 1: THE APPLICATION
Step 2: MEETING WITH THE PRACTICUM SPECIALIST
Step 3: REFERRAL PROCESS
Step 4: AGENCY INTERVIEW
Step 5: REGISTRATION
Step 6: LEARNING AGREEMENT
Practicum Step By Step
Application deadline for Spring 2019 placement has passed.
March 15, 2019
- Fall 2019 Application Deadline Practicum I and III
October 15, 2019
- Spring 2020 Application Deadline Practicum I & III
Practicum is unavailable during the Summer semester.
Registration for Practicum is available only to students whose names are submitted by the Human Services Department Practicum Specialist.
In order to have their names submitted for registration, students must complete their application in the Fall or Spring semester prior to enrollment into practicum.
Refer to the Human Services Department Handbook for a detailed description of all practicum processes, including timelines.
The Department follows strict guidelines dictated by the accrediting body for Human Services Programs (CSHSE). Students must meet ALL prerequisites to be admitted.
Practicum I - HUMS A295A:
- Admission to Human Services Degree Program
- The following courses must be completed with a grade C or better:
- HUMS A107 History and Systems of Human Services
- HUMS A223 Introduction to Paraprofessional Counseling I
- Writing A111 Writing Across Contexts
Practicum II - HUMS A295B:
- HUMS A295A Human Services Practicum I (with a grade C or better)
Practicum III - Human Services A495:
- Admission to the Bachelor of Human Services Degree Program (note - students cannot apply for Practicum III the same semester they apply for the BHS program)
Senior standing (90+ credits)
- HUMS A295B Practicum II (with a grade C or better)