Student Health and Counseling Center
The Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC) promotes optimal health for the University community through access to high quality and affordable health care, preventative health care, individual counseling, consulting, outreach and health education.
Tis The Season ... Flu Season
Get your flu shot today!
The Student Health and Counseling Center is offering $15 flu shots for everyone over the age of 18, including faculty, staff, and students, regardless of eligibility. UAA students under the age of 18 can be accommodated with parental consent, just give us a call!
Most colds and the flu are caused by a virus. Unfortunately, antibiotics do not treat viruses. Prevention is a great way to help avoid becoming sick.
What are the symptoms of a cold?
- Nasal or sinus congestion
- Clear, white, yellow, or green nasal discharge
- Sore throat
- Ear congestion
- Muscle aches
- Fever of less than 101 degrees F
Make an Appointment if:
- You have a fever over 101 degrees F
- Breathing is difficult or painful
- Severe sore throat lasting longer than 2-3 days
- Cough producing large amounts of green or bloody mucous
- Severe headache or neck pain
- Symptoms that last longer than 7-10 days
Already feeling under the weather?
Recovery is right around the corner. Here are some self care tips for the cold and flu.
- Get plenty of rest. That means staying in and getting extra sleep.
- Drink plenty of fluids! Water, herbal tea, and chicken broth are all great.
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently.
- Take a hot steamy shower to help loosen mucous.
- For a sore throat gargle with warm salt water.
- Amp up your Vitamin C intake. Orange juice, broccoli, cantaloupe, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and strawberries are all rich in Vitamin C.
Mental Health Workshops
Increase your understanding and knowledge about depression, and build skills to recognize and manage symptoms.
|Tuesday, October 16||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Wednesday, November 14||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, November 27||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
Stress and Anxiety Management
Increase your understanding of anxiety symptoms and learn to build better skills to cope with anxiety.
|Wednesday, October 10||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, October 23||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Friday, November 9||1-2pm||SMH 111|
|Wednesday, November 28||1-2pm||ESH 204|
Learn techniques to help you relax and prep for tests and presentations.
|Friday, October 5||1-2pm||SMH 111|
|Wednesday, October 17||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, October 30||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Friday, November 16||1-2pm||SMH 111|
With education, support, and a little creativity, you can learn to manage the symptoms of adult ADHD, and even turn some of your weaknesses into strengths.
|Friday, October 12||1-2pm||SMH 111|
|Wednesday, October 24||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, November 6||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Friday, November 30||1-2pm||SMH 111|
Gatekeeper Suicide Prevention
Learn about suicide risk and warning signs, how to effectively communicate with someone at risk, and how to help them connect to campus/community resources.
|Tuesday, October 2||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Friday, October 26||1-2pm||SMH 111|
|Wednesday, October 31||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, November 13||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
Wellness and Coping Skills
Benefit from mindfulness; distress tolerance; interpersonal effectiveness; and emotion regulation skills and incorporating them into a healthy lifestyle.
|Tuesday, October 9||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
|Friday, November 2||1-2pm||SMH 111|
|Wednesday, November 7||1-2pm||ESH 204|
|Tuesday, November 20||11:30am-12:30pm||RH 211|
The Student Health and Counseling Center is dedicated to serving students. Please check out our Facebook Page and Student Health 101 for information on upcoming events, or to learn more about how you can stay healthy!