University of Alaska Anchorage
Contact via Email and Phone: Closed to In-person Traffic
The University Center is closed to walk-in traffic due to statewide and local measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). Staff are unable to answer the call center at this time but voicemail and email are being checked and responded to throughout the day, Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Financial Aid for Seawolves
The Office of Financial Aid strives to make a significant and positive difference in the lives of students through quality customer service that meets their educational needs, and the efficient processing and delivery of financial aid.
- Learn ways to pay for classes.
- Submit an application for aid (FAFSA).
- Understand your financial aid award and your bill.
- Maintain your financial aid eligibility.
Contact Financial Aid
Types of Financial Aid
There are many different types of funds available for students to help afford college.
- "Free" Aid
Grants (e.g. Federal Pell) are need-based financial aid awards that do not have to be paid back, as long as you attend financial aid eligible classes.
UAA participates in a variety of Alaska scholarship programs, such as UA Foundation scholarships, Alaska Performance scholarships, UA Scholars, and UAA administration scholarships.
- Aid You Pay Back
Aid you Pay Back
Federal Direct Loans allow students and some parents to borrow money to help pay for educationally related expenses through loan programs supported by the federal government. Students that are eligible for a Federal Direct Loan will have it offered on their award letter. They will then have the opportunity to accept or decline all or part of the loan via UAOnline, as outlined on the Financial Aid Checklist.
Students who need additional funds beyond what they qualify for in federal student aid (including Federal Direct Loans) or students who are not eligible for Federal Direct Loans may wish to consider additional payment options, such as a UAA Payment Plan, a parent/family education loan, and/or an alternative education loan.
- Aid You Earn
Aid you Earn
Federal Work Study (FWS) is designed to provide jobs to students to help them meet their educationally related expenses. Half of the money a student worker is paid comes from the program, and the other half comes from the university.
Federal Work Study is offered to students who show financial need and indicate interest in programs other than grants when filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Steps to Receiving Financial Aid
Getting financial aid is easy when you follow the Financial Aid checklist and stay on top of important dates and deadlines.
- Complete the FAFSA
- Apply for UAA Scholarships
- Monitor your financial aid status on UAOnline
- Monitor your UAA correspondence
- Review your financial aid award letter
- Accept or decline your awards
Financial Planning Resources
Making the decision to pursue a degree is a big step, and there are many factors to consider when choosing where to enroll. The following resources are available to assist with comparing cost, financial assistance, and outcomes.
- Created and hosted by the U.S. Department of Education
- Compare information on cost, retention rates, and other critical data
- Provided according to degree level (undergraduate/graduate)
- Based on average cost for tuition and fees, books and supplies, housing and food, transportation, and personal expenses
- Data is an estimate only, as each student's expenses will depend on many variables, including living arrangements
- Students whose actual expenses exceed their estimates can submit a Cost of Attendance/Budget Adjustment form
- Estimates your cost and financial aid, according to the info you provide
- Currently only available for undergraduate programs
College Financing Plan
- Available to student who complete the FAFSA and have applied to UAA
- Provides clear, concise information on cost, financial aid, retention and graduation, and average debt information per career
- Designed by the U.S. Department of Education
- Easily compare cost and aid offers for schools you are considering
- Access your UAA Shopping Sheet by logging into UAOnline > Financial Aid > UAA > College Financing Plan