You've tracked your progress in DegreeWorks, and you've nearly completed all the requirements for your degree. You're ready to apply to graduate. 

For issues with courses or degree programs not showing in DegreeWorks as expected, see Degree Progress.


Looking for information about the commencement ceremony?

Apply to Graduate

To be eligible for graduation at the end of a given semester, a student must be formally admitted to the degree or certificate program and submit an application for graduation through UAOnline. 

  • Apply to graduate through your UAOnline account.
  • Graduation application deadlines are in Registration Dates and Deadlines calendars.
  • Catalog policy on Graduation governs this process.
  • Students with a directory hold on their account will be removed from the commencement ceremony program prior to printing and will not be included in any other commencement-related publications.
  • Step-by-Step Directions to Apply to Graduate
    1. Login to UAOnline.
    2. Click on "Students Services & Account Information."
    3. Click on "Student Records."
    4. Select "Apply to Graduate."
    5. Select the degree program from which you wish to graduate and click "Continue."
    6. Select the semester in which you intend to graduate from the drop down menu and click "Continue."
    7. Click "Submit Request."
    8. You will receive a degree audit email from Degree Services ( within 3-5 business days.

    You may view the status of existing applications for graduation in UAOnlineFrom the Student Services & Account Information tab, choose Student Records, Apply to Graduate and View Application to Graduate.

    See the university catalog for information and policies related to your application for graduation.

Graduate with Honors

To be eligible to graduate with honors, associate and baccalaureate degree-seeking students must earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.50 or higher in all college work attempted at or transferred to UAA. Graduate students are not eligible for university honors.

Standing GPA Requirement
Cum Laude 3.50 to 3.79
Magna Cum Laude 3.80 to 3.99
Summa Cum Laude 4.00

Read more about graduating with honors in the UAA Catalog.

Please note: The GPA on your transcript and in DegreeWorks is not your final GPA for honors.


Diplomas are available for pick up at the Enrollment Services Center check-in counter during normal business hours. Please have a valid government issue picture ID or your Wolfcard with you.

Students must satisfy all unpaid student account balances through the UAA Office of the Bursar before their diploma will be released.

The name on your diploma will be the official name on file with the University at the time of printing. Diplomas are printed with first name, middle initial, last name. UAA will print full middle and maiden names upon request. Requests to print alternate versions of first names will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Inquiries may be sent to

Concentrations and minors will not be printed on the diploma. Minors are printed on the official transcript. Students earning a baccalaureate or master's degree may see their concentrations printed on their official transcript. If you and your advisor do not know if your concentration qualifies to appear on your official transcript per university policy, please contact

At the end of one year, any unclaimed/returned diplomas will be shredded. If you believe that your diploma has been shredded, please contact for further instruction.

Replacement Diploma

Graduates wishing to order a replacement diploma for a change of name must submit a Change of Personal Information along with documentation.

A Change Form is typically processed within seven business days.  An Application for Replacement Diploma will be processed within five business days or after the Change Form has been processed, if applicable.

All replacement diplomas will be printed with current University President, Chancellor, and Chair of the Board of Regents signatures and will have the words, "Replacement Diploma issued (date)" printed under the university seal.

Application for Replacement Diploma

Degree Verifications

Agencies or employers requesting verification of a student's degree should request this information directly through the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) DegreeVerify service.

National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300 
Herndon, VA 20171

Apostille Diplomas

Should any country requiring a diploma or official transcript require an apostille, we can certify and notarize your diploma or official transcript and forward it to the Office of the Lieutenant Governor of Alaska for processing.

Apostille Diploma or Official Transcript Request

Frequent Questions

  • Can I walk at Commencement in May?

    Students who complete certificate or degree requirements in the summer and fall semesters will be invited to participate in fall commencement ceremonies in December. Students who complete certificate or degree requirements in the spring semester will be invited to participate in spring commencement ceremonies in May. All students eligible to walk in Commencement will receive an invitation to RSVP to the ceremony about six (6) weeks prior to the event. The invitation will be emailed to students’ preferred email accounts. If students do not receive an invitation and believe they should have, or if they have any questions, they are encouraged to email Degree Services at If a student reapplies to graduate in a later semester prior to the date of Commencement, they will not be on the list to walk. Exceptions to the walking policy should be directed to the University Advancement Office at 907-786-1013.

  • What is the 'drop dead date' for turning things in and still graduating?

    All paperwork, petitions, test scores, grades, etc., must be received by the Registrar's Office by the final grade submission deadline. This date is generally three (3) business days after the last day of the semester. Specific dates are available on the Dates and Deadlines page. Degree Services begins reviewing students’ audits for completion the day after the final grading deadline. If a student's paperwork is not submitted or complete when their degree is audited, their degree will not be awarded. These students will receive email correspondence at their preferred email address with information about their degree status.

  • I know I'm not going to graduate. What should I do?

    Email from your preferred or student email account and request your application be moved to a future semester within one academic year of your original application. Include your student ID number, degree, and the semester to which you would like your application to be moved. This must be done before the final class day of the semester for which you applied to graduate. This is a one-time courtesy move.

  • If my thesis isn't due until June, am I still a spring graduate?

    If a student completes their thesis in June, their degree will be posted in the summer semester, and the student will be considered a summer graduate. In order for a degree to be posted for spring, all paperwork/requirements must be completed and submitted by the final grading deadline (generally three (3) business days after the semester ends). You will need to contact Degree Services at to request a final audit mid semester; otherwise you will not be checked for completion again until the end of the semester.

  • My advisor/instructor told me another class would count for that requirement

    In order for students to graduate from UAA, they must complete all university, general education and major requirements as published in the university catalog. If an advisor or instructor tells a student that a particular course can satisfy a major requirement or that a major requirement can be waived, the student needs to work with their advisor to ensure academic petitions are submitted to the Registrar’s Office. Students should access their DegreeWorks audit (found in UAOnline, Student Services & Account Information link) to verify that all of their requirements are complete and to track academic petitions. If a petition is not documented in DegreeWorks, it is possible the petition was never received and will therefore not be considered when Degree Services completes the final audit.

  • Should I apply to graduate with an Occupational Endorsement Certificate?

    A student pursuing an Occupational Endorsement Certificate must apply for graduation to earn their OEC. Occupational endorsement certificates are distributed by the offering academic unit rather than at commencement. Students should check with their advisers to determine what procedures are followed.

  • Incomplete Grades

    Your degree cannot be awarded if you have an incomplete grade in a course required for your degree. Change of grade forms must be submitted to the Registrar's Office by the last day of the semester in which you intend to graduate.

  • Transfer Credit

    If you will be using transfer credit to complete your degree requirements, you must have an official transcript from that institution sent to the Registrar's Office as soon as your grade is available. All transcripts must be received by the last day of the semester in which you intend to graduate.

  • CLEP and DSST (DANTES) Test Scores

    If you will be using test scores to complete your degree requirements, we must receive official test scores before the last day of the semester in which you intend to graduate. See more on the Transfer Credit site.

  • Graduate Degree Requirements

    Graduate students must have a Graduate Studies Plan and final thesis project, or comprehensive exam approval from the Graduate School on file with the Office of the Registrar by the last day of the semester in which they intend to graduate.

  • Degree Posted on Your Transcript

    Once all requirements have been verified as met, your degree will be posted to your record and immediately appear on your transcript. You can verify that your degree has been awarded by viewing your unofficial transcript in UAOnline.